Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail push via Exchange is performing dreadfully iOS 8 iPhone 6 Plus

Ever since I upgraded from a 4S to an iPhone 6 Plus with iOS 8 (fully updated), the performance for Gmail push via Exchange has been absolutely atrocious. Just to be clear: I am a PAID Google Apps user and therefore the Exchange based push SHOULD work as it always did. I am aware that they discontinued support for non-paid users.

It used to perform flawlessly. Someone would send me an email and PING! It would appear on my iPhone within seconds. Now I'm logging into Gmail on my desktop and seeing emails from hours ago that haven't arrived on my phone yet. It's only when I open the mail app that they download. So basically, push is only working some of the time. Has anyone else experienced this? I will ask on the Google forums as well but right now I don't know whether this is a Gmail thing or an iOS thing. Whatever it is, it's extremely annoying and causing me no end of trouble in my business.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Dec 11, 2014 6:45 PM

4 replies

Dec 14, 2014 9:33 AM in response to JSharke

I just spoke with the Google Apps Help desk for paid accounts and they stated that only email from your domain (not Gmail) could be pushed to new devices. I have an iPhone 6 Plus and Push does not work with the Apple email client for Gmail. I also have an iPhone 5 and Push works fine because it was setup before Google changed its policy. I am willing to pay the $5 per month to maintain a paid Google account, but although I have a domain name, I do not wish to use it for email and really want to push my Gmail to the iPhone 6. I have seen others mentioned that you can use Exchange ActiveSync in the paid account to push email, but the Help desk told me that Exchange ActiveSync only works with email using your own domain. Does anyone else know how to make Gmail pushable even with a paid account?

Dec 14, 2014 8:02 PM in response to JE_Norman

Hi JE_Norman:

I should have said in my post that I am talking about my domain email. I often describe it as Gmail without thinking because of course I have it set up to use the Gmail interface. Therefore the push should be working correctly. And indeed sometimes, it does. Therefore, in my case it should be working all of the time.

Dec 14, 2014 8:31 PM in response to JSharke

Hi JSharke,

Thanks for clarifying that you are using your own domain. I have a domain, but don't use it for Gmail email at this time. In my case where I wanted to have my Gmail pushed to my iPhone 6 Apple email app, Google recommended an option which was to download and install the Gmail mail app and use it to be notified any time I received a Gmail. I could still use my Apple email app by manually retrieving the Gmail email by pulling down on the email screen to force a refresh. That approach works. I am also using the Apple email app to retrieve my company Exchange Server email (which still supports Push), so both Gmail and my company email will be in the same folder and I can easily access all of my contacts which are synced to Exchange Server for either work or Gmail email that I send.

Unfortunately, none of this info helps your situation. At least you can call Google Help if you have a paid account. I found them very helpful.

Jul 2, 2015 9:17 AM in response to JSharke

I am in the same exact situation as you, I try adding my Google Business Apps account through Exchange on the Mail app and it worked for 24 hours and then I noticed it stopped working and I only received emails when I opened the app. Just wondering whether you found a solution because it is really irritating and I prefer the Apple Mail app to the Gmail app and as a paying customer we could expect push to work. Hope to here from you.

Matt

Gmail push via Exchange is performing dreadfully iOS 8 iPhone 6 Plus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.