Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Copy Text From PDF Within Gmail Preview

Hi,

If I click on a pdf attachment while inside gmail, I get the expected preview window of that PDF. However, I can't copy text from it. If I press Command-C, it just makes a beeping noise letting me know nothing is being copied. If I select text and right-click, there's no 'copy' option. Also, in the top toolbar, Copy is greyed out in the Edit menu. However, if I just hold down Command-C for a couple seconds the text will copy anyways (while hearing a dozen audible beeps). I can copy text without issue using Firefox from the same PDF attachment preview inside Gmail.

Thanks for any help.

Yosemite 10.10.1

Safari Version 8.0 (10600.1.25.1)

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 11, 2014 11:19 PM

9 replies

Jan 28, 2015 2:26 PM in response to greenkawasaki

Having same issue as well. I've had this problem pre-Yosemite and it seems to be Safari related. Copy to clipboard in Gmail preview works fine in Chrome & Firefox, just not Safari. As you indicated if you hold ctrl-c long enough it will eventually copy, just forces you to listen to the series of annoying bongs.

Also there's no copy to clipboard in the context menu as illustrated below:

http://i.imgur.com/adyyJO4.png

Pretty annoying really, I'm not about to download a dozen attached PDFs to copy to clipboard, so now I'm sitting in the Delta lounge with my laptop bonging away as I wait for Safari to copy to clipboard and everyone looks at me like I'm a moron.

NOTE: No I do not have acrobat or any other software loaded besides vanilla Safari. This has gone on on my MBP, Mac Pro and now this brand new MBP I got Monday as a company upgrade, it literally has nothing installed on it at the moment.

May 23, 2015 7:33 AM in response to bozatlim

Apple doesn’t routinely monitor the discussions. These are mostly user to user discussions.

Send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem solved sooner.

Feedback

Or you can use your Apple ID to register with this site and go the Apple BugReporter. Supposedly you will get an answer if you submit feedback.

Feedback via Apple Developer

Can't Copy Text From PDF Within Gmail Preview

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.