Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please help me add AIM to Messages

When I try and add AIM to 'Messages,' I keep getting a notice saying: "Unable to verify account name or password." I followed the directions from the 'Messages' help pages on adding AIM precisely and I tried multiple times. I know the AIM account is good because when I run AIM directly on my iMac, it logs-in just fine using the same exact acct. information.

I sure would appreciate some help on getting AIM to hook-up to 'Messages' as I have a friend I would like to screen-share with. Thanks very much! 🙂

Posted on Dec 12, 2014 1:30 AM

5 replies

Dec 12, 2014 12:31 PM in response to Mr. Eeee

Hi,

In Messages > Preferences > Accounts use the Plus icon at the bottom of the list on the left.

This then offers a list of Options.

Choose AOL for Screen Names registered with AIM/AOL or Apple IDs ending in @mac.com @me.com if linked to iCloud and @icloud.com ones themselves.

Any Apple ID has to have a password that is 16 characters or less.

Is this what you did ?

User uploaded file

8:31 pm Friday; December 12, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Feb 17, 2015 1:50 PM in response to belasa

Hi,

My AOL Registered name was gained by using the Netscape Browser app many years ago.

In System Preferences > Internet accounts it gets listed as my username@AOL.com whereas in iChat and Messages it has always been listed as just the Username.

At another point in time I also elected to make the Name (that I have always considered to be an AIM name) an AIM email name (username@AIM.com).

This also appears in Internet Accounts but is only active for Mail.

Use this page https://settings.aim.com/

Try logging in with all the variants

Username

Username@AIM.com

Username@AOL.com (It should be all lower case I have just added the capitals to show the differences)

When you have found which works Add it to Messages as the AOL choice. (it tends to list AOL when adding the account and list it As AIM in the list afterwards.)

User uploaded file

9:50 pm Tuesday; February 17, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Jul 3, 2015 10:23 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

I had the same problem. Ran "Messages", went to Messages --> Preferences. Selected "Accounts", then the "+" at the bottom. Then choosing the "Aol" selection always results in failure.

Here's where I changed things up a bit. The dialog says "Choose a messages account to add..." and lists Google, Yahoo, Aol, and "Other messages account...". EVEN THOUGH YOU ARE ADDING AN AOL ACCOUNT, SELECT "Other messages account...". Do NOT select the Aol item from the "Choose a messages account to add..." dialog.

So, you selected "Other messages account..." then the "Continue" button. The "Add a Messages Account" dialog has an "Account Type:" picklist. Choose "AIM" here. Then enter your username and password. THIS WORKED FOR ME! Yeah!

Please help me add AIM to Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.