Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't download Yosemite, Get button not working

Trying to update to Yosemite but the Get button is not responding. It stays grey and I don't get the green Install App.

I'm trying to update from the last version of Snow Leopard.

Posted on Dec 12, 2014 3:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2014 5:23 AM

Anyone had a result with this yet?

87 replies

Dec 12, 2014 12:09 PM in response to Bosbrandje

Having the same issue here as well. Clicking the "GET" button while viewing the Yosemite download changes the text from bright white to a dull grey, but nothing happens after that.

I've also noticed that I am unable to download other apps. In this case I see the normal blue "GET" button, which upon clicking turns green and displays "Install App". Clicking "Install App" changes the text from a bright white to a dull grey, and then nothing happens after that.

Running App Store Version 1.0.2 (63.1)

Snow Leopard Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Memory: 4 GB

Dec 12, 2014 12:20 PM in response to Bosbrandje

Is this issue appearing on new user account?

Isolating an issue by using another user account - Apple Support

Mac OS X: How to troubleshoot a software issue - Apple Support

Create a new, temporary administrator account (called test) and try to download OS X Yosemite. Once is downloaded, you can still use test account to proceed with installation and when it's done, you can remove the test account from your mac.

Before upgrading OS X to Yosemite i would recomend to create a Time Machine Backup (or any other sort of backup) in case if Yosemite is not what you were waiting for: Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac - Apple Support

Dec 13, 2014 2:52 AM in response to Lucrativ3

Lucrativ3 wrote:

I tried making a new user account as was suggested, didn't work for me. Anyone else figure it out?

What you mean by "didn't work for me"? Did you get any error message? What happened?

If i'm correct, on the 10.6.8 the App Store app was quite primitive and did not indicate with progress bar on anything like it (like on newer OS versions) when application was downloading. Since OS X Yosemite is +5GB download, on the slow internet connection this might take a while (and by while i mean couple of hours). Once the download is completed, downloaded app will open automatically. To check if app is downloading, you could use Activity Monitor app and check Network section for any activity.

Alternatively, if you have access to other mac, you could use that mac to download OS Yosemite and by using external storage (USB HDD or flash storage) or file sharing tranfer it to your MBP.

Dec 13, 2014 4:59 AM in response to iW00

Nothing happens. I've tried it on two different computers, both running Snow Leopard and App Store version 1.0.2 (63.1)

If i remember correctly, the green "install app" button turns into "installing" but this doesn't happen now. And when I'm not logged in it never asks me for my password.

Would it be possible to grab the Yosemite from a computer already running it? Without using the App Store?

Dec 13, 2014 7:20 AM in response to Bosbrandje

There is two ways to do it:

1. If you want to upgrade current OS to OS X Yosemite, then use other mac to download OS X Yosemite installer and then use external storage (USB HDD or flash storage) or file sharing to transfer /Applications/Install OS X Yosemite.app to the mac on which you want to install it and run the instalation (the mac on which you will be downloading OS X Yosemite can run already that OS).

2. If you are ok to erase HDD and do a fresh installation of OS X Yosemite (which means all data - applications, documents, photos, music and etc will be deleted) on your mac, then if you have an access to Mac which is currently running OS X Yosemite, you can use that Mac and create USB Recovery Disk:

OS X Recovery Disk Assistant v1.0

OS X: About Recovery Disk Assistant - Apple Support

Create a bootable installer for OS X Mavericks or Yosemite - Apple Support

Booting then your Mac from USB Recovery Disk will give you an option to use Disk Utility app to erase the drive and then to proceed with Installing OS X Yosemite.

Starting from an external USB storage device (Intel-based Macs) - Apple Support

No matter which option you decide to go with, make sure you have a valid Time Machine Backup (or any sort of backup) done - if you decide that OS X Yosemite is not what you want on this Mac, then restoring from Time Machine Backup is the easiest way to go back: Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac - Apple Support

Dec 13, 2014 10:04 AM in response to CF_1214

46 mins on hold waiting for Apple Support confirmed a server problem on their end with letting people download with SL 10.6.8. Waited 25 mins for him to put me through to tech support when I was in the middle of trying to get him to send a link to Mavericks when he hung up on me in the middle of the conversation but he was only confirming that there was no such link that Apple had. Looks like its most likely a waiting game...unfortunately.

Dec 13, 2014 10:18 AM in response to bldgengineer

If any of you use wireless with your device I'd recommend not downloading yosemite. I have a MBP Retina and the wireless continually drops out. I have ti turn wifi off and then back on to get it to reconnect. It drives me absolutely mad. It's happened tonight about 10 times in 2 hrs.

Lots of people have reported various fixes but they are only temporary.

I'm on the very latest patch.

Also, my wife has an iMac and after upgrading it is running significantly slower.

Dec 13, 2014 10:33 AM in response to Lucrativ3

Lucrativ3 wrote:

iW00, while I appreciate the suggestions, not everyone has a spare mac laying around and/or another mac with yosemite already on it. Your suggestions don't really involve the problem which is the get button not doing anything?

My suggestion is an answer to the question asked by Bosbrandje who btw is this thread OP:

Bosbrandje wrote:

Would it be possible to grab the Yosemite from a computer already running it? Without using the App Store?

My suggestion doesn't resolve the problem with "GET button" but gives possible workaround which some users - if they have that option - might be able to use it. That is all.

Dec 13, 2014 10:35 AM in response to Bosbrandje

Believe me, if I could upgrade to Mavericks at this point, I would. Seriously wasn't expecting Apple to NOT be able to downgrade if needed. Also, as I was writing this, tech support called me back to say there is no ETA available for a fix AND they are seeing a rise in people with Mavericks having the exact same issue...but they are working on it lol

Can't download Yosemite, Get button not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.