Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to add data from external drive to iMac?

I have a seagate external drive that I used to back up my windows 7 computer. My windows hard disk totally died so now I want to transfer all the files I need on to my mac. I bought the mac because I knew the windows unit was on it's way out. I am just not sure what to do now that it is reality. I have a hard time with this mac since all I have ever used was the windows stuff. I tried to find something in the FAQ but nothing is as close to what I want. Any help out there in Apple country? Thanks..... Bud....

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), MEO88LL/A

Posted on Dec 12, 2014 6:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2014 6:53 AM

The mac should be able to READ files from a Windows ntfs or fat disk if there is no encrypting.

System files or files with a specific windows format can not be read, but you do not need those.

You can transfer user fies to the mac with copy/paste in Finder, or you can read them into an application directly from the disk.

If you want the ".dat" files in compressed mail you can use TNEF's Enough from the Appstore.

After you have read in all you want to have in the mac may be you re format the drive on the mac with DiskUtility in mac. Or you keep it as a safety backup.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2014 6:53 AM in response to cliffordfromorange park

The mac should be able to READ files from a Windows ntfs or fat disk if there is no encrypting.

System files or files with a specific windows format can not be read, but you do not need those.

You can transfer user fies to the mac with copy/paste in Finder, or you can read them into an application directly from the disk.

If you want the ".dat" files in compressed mail you can use TNEF's Enough from the Appstore.

After you have read in all you want to have in the mac may be you re format the drive on the mac with DiskUtility in mac. Or you keep it as a safety backup.

How to add data from external drive to iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.