Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Rename" missing from Finder context menu

The Rename feature on the Finder Context menu has been very useful to me.

Got an error message while trying to rename several folders.

Now the Rename feature is missing from the Finder context menu.

OS 10.10 Yosemite, 27" iMac

Just recently purchased at Thunderbolt hard drive enclosure (Akitio Thunder2 Quad enclosure) and the error happened while renaming files on the Thunderbolt drive. Now the rename feature is missing from all drives.

I've tried:

rebooting - no help

ejecting the Thunder2 quad and rebooting - no help

power down the Thunder2 and rebooting - no help

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 12, 2014 7:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2014 7:58 AM

On OS X 10.10.1, if I select one item, the contextual menu will not present the rename option. Two or more items must be selected, regardless of the Finder view mode. This also works on an SMB share mounted from my Synology DiskStation NAS, and a USB stick.

Use Disk Utility First Aid to verify your external Thunderbolt drives.

Shutdown your Mac, and then power down the Thunderbolt enclosure. Check and reconnect your Thunderbolt cables to/between the Mac and the enclosure itself. Boot the Mac. Select two items in Finder. Is Replace back?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2014 7:58 AM in response to iquittoo

On OS X 10.10.1, if I select one item, the contextual menu will not present the rename option. Two or more items must be selected, regardless of the Finder view mode. This also works on an SMB share mounted from my Synology DiskStation NAS, and a USB stick.

Use Disk Utility First Aid to verify your external Thunderbolt drives.

Shutdown your Mac, and then power down the Thunderbolt enclosure. Check and reconnect your Thunderbolt cables to/between the Mac and the enclosure itself. Boot the Mac. Select two items in Finder. Is Replace back?

"Rename" missing from Finder context menu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.