Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro X Crashes Every Time I Select Effects Browser

Hi,

I'm a novice FCPx user that works at a non-profit, and I do some light video work. I'm running FCPx on a MacBook Pro Retina 2.3GHz i7 with 16GB Ram, OS X 10.10.1.

Every time I click on the Effects Browser, FCPx crashes. As is to add insult, if it crashes in this manner I ALWAYS have to use PrefMan to delete preference files to even get FCPx to open without sticking on "Restoring Window Layout".

I'm incredibly frustrated, nobody can seem to diagnose the issue, and it renders this application worse than useless. Should I abandon ship and direct our organization to purchase copies of Adobe Premiere Pro for other editing machines, or is this an isolated issue that can be fixed?

Thanks for any help you might be able to give!

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 12, 2014 9:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2014 10:05 AM

Either there is some problematic effect installed or there is a problem with the application or some setting in your own user account.

FCP works beautifully for most users. If you can sort this out I bet it will work for you too.

You seem to already have tried the first troubleshooting step - deleting preferences. You did not mention which version of FCPX - for Yosemite, you need either 10.1.3 or 10.1.4. If not, you need to update the application.

If you are indeed running 10.1.3 or 10.1.4, there are additional steps you can try.

The first thing I recommend is to try running under a different user account. If it works, then it will confirm that something in your user account is causing the problem.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2014 10:05 AM in response to zb0430

Either there is some problematic effect installed or there is a problem with the application or some setting in your own user account.

FCP works beautifully for most users. If you can sort this out I bet it will work for you too.

You seem to already have tried the first troubleshooting step - deleting preferences. You did not mention which version of FCPX - for Yosemite, you need either 10.1.3 or 10.1.4. If not, you need to update the application.

If you are indeed running 10.1.3 or 10.1.4, there are additional steps you can try.

The first thing I recommend is to try running under a different user account. If it works, then it will confirm that something in your user account is causing the problem.

Dec 12, 2014 12:59 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Well, this actually got me somewhere! Thanks so much, I can limp along now.

I'm an audio guy by trade, so I had a ton of plugins installed. Apparently, FCPx is just a poorly designed and inept at handling audio components. All of my plugins are updated and 64-bit compliant, but apparently FCPx just can't handle audio components. They all work fine in ProTools and Logic Pro X, but cause Final Cut Pro X to crash instantly. They have to be removed from the Audio Components folder altogether for FCPx to run. Even the brand new Waves bundles I just bought.

It's frustrating that the only thing you can use in the plugin section are Apple's built-in utilities, but I can make do for now until I learn a replacement for FCPx.

Thanks for the insight!

Final Cut Pro X Crashes Every Time I Select Effects Browser

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.