Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not upgrade Netflix!

Why can I not upgrade my Netflix account through iTunes to the new 4k content? The option to upgrade is not available in my account manager in iTunes!

Posted on Dec 12, 2014 5:20 PM

14 replies

Jul 2, 2017 10:32 PM in response to TdotRules

Trying to upgrade the subscription as well. I just cancelled the Basic subscription on iTunes but it says I still have access to my subscription until July 19. So I guess I have to wait until then to change my subscription to the Premium package. And since the ATV4 does not support 4K or Dolby Atmos, I may just have to subscribe using my XB1S.

Dec 12, 2014 6:33 PM in response to TdotRules

Too little info...

Quoted from  Apple's "How to write a good question"

To help other members answer your question, give as many details as you can.

• Include your product name and specs such as processor speed, memory, and storage capacity. Please do not include your Serial Number, IMEI, MEID, or other personal information.
  • Provide the version numbers of your operating system and relevant applications, for example "iOS 6.0.3" or "iPhoto 9.1.2".
  • Describe the problem, and include any details about what seems to cause it.
  • List any troubleshooting steps you've already tried, or temporary fixes you've discovered.

ÇÇÇ

Dec 12, 2014 7:46 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

Sorry but, I thought it was an obvious question! Lol However here are more details for you to consider:

I have a streaming account with Netflix which I purchased through iTunes. It is a recurring charge of $7.99 every month which iTunes bills me every month.

Netflix has a new service which they now provide which includes 4k content. There is an additional charge for this service. I want to purchase the new service with 4K content but, iTunes does not give me the option to purchase the service. I have spoken with Netflix customer service and they cannot upgrade my service because it is billed through iTunes. What's interesting is iTunes will sell the service in their store with 4k content if you are a new account subscriber To Netflix through iTunes. So why hasn't anyone at iTunes updated the offering to existing Netflix customers who purchased the service through iTunes before the 4k content was available.

The new 4k Netflix service costs $11.99 per month.....why won't they take my money!!!???

Dec 12, 2014 7:57 PM in response to TdotRules

OK... We have the NetFlix / iTunes part. Now what Apple device(s) are you using? Mac(s), iOS Device(s)<-(includes AppleTV)??

The deal is, we need to get your question moved to the forum where you might get the quickest and best help - your question has been posted in a relatively low traffic forum - Using ASC (How to use this website) - and we need the aforementioned to best ask our gracious Hosts to move it appropriately.

your turn

ÇÇÇ

Dec 12, 2014 8:03 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

This applies to all of my apple devices....ipad, Apple tv, iPhone....the issue is with the iTunes store....they offer the Netflix service....it's not a hardware/software issue....it is to do with purchasing a new type of service with Netflix through the iTunes store. Hence, my description of upgrading my Netflix account to include streaming of 4k content. Hope that helps identify the issue.

Aug 9, 2015 9:57 AM in response to TdotRules

So why hasn't anyone at iTunes updated the offering to existing Netflix customers who purchased the service through iTunes before the 4k content was available.

iTunes is the payment "station" - they will charge whatever service you subscribe to. The changes need to be made within the account of the service you are subscribed to - in this case: Netflix.

Aug 27, 2015 10:35 AM in response to babowa

I've got exactly the same problem. No option to upgrade to 4K through a iTunes Netflix account. When you try to do it through a web browser direct with netflix, it says it worked, but it does not change anything. Spent three days trying to do this. Apple say ' talk to Netflix' Netflix say 'talk to Apple'. Currently on hold to Netflix (currently 13mins despite them telling me it would be one min). Might be better to cancel my subscription and try another route to 4K. Don't bother subscribing to Netflix through iTunes, it does not work for 4K UHD. I'm might to try direct to Netflix or another 4K service. Somebody please tell me I have got this wrong.

Jan 4, 2016 9:21 AM in response to TdotRules

If you read the fine print on the Netflix site, it says if you subscribed to the basic plan through iTunes before I think May 2014, then you have to cancel your subscription and resubscribe to be able to upgrade your account. I'm not sure why, probably they are phasing out letting people go thru iTunes, I'm guessing because Apple takes a fee and because they grandfathered us on the old plan price, so if you do this, you'd have to pay the extra $1 per month if you wanted to go back to the basic plan. The problem I have with this is that I worry I will lose my list, and all the data as far as suggestions based on what I've watched.

UPDATE: See below:

Note:Customers whose membership began before 5/10/2014 are only able to access the 2 screens plan. If these customer would like to change their plan, they must cancel through iTunes and then restart their account through iTunes. Customers whose memberships started on or after 5/10/2014 are able to see all available plans and have the option to change plans through iTunes.

Can not upgrade Netflix!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.