Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to partition an over 128GB hard drive on an old iBook Clamshell?

Hi,

I have an iBook G3 SE 466MHz and I want to replace my 10GB hard drive with a 160GB one I got laying around here.

I've heard that there's an 128GB limit for partitions, I'd be ok with that... But my question is if it's possible to partition the drive with Tiger's Disk Utility.

And if not, would it be possible with any other OS or live disc?

Thanks in advance!

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4)

Posted on Dec 13, 2014 9:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2014 12:23 PM

Yes, no problem, your iBook will treat it as a 128GB HD

If you want to make use of the remaining space (21 GB, 160 GB is not really 160 GB after Partitioning) you have to buy a high capacity driver

I have a 250GB HD in my iBook Clamshell. I put it in an external USB enclosure, hooked it up on a Powerbook G4 and made 2 Partitions first one 128GB second one the rest, then placed it in the iBook, installed tiger and the Hi-Cap driver to make use of the second partition.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2014 12:23 PM in response to felixuta

Yes, no problem, your iBook will treat it as a 128GB HD

If you want to make use of the remaining space (21 GB, 160 GB is not really 160 GB after Partitioning) you have to buy a high capacity driver

I have a 250GB HD in my iBook Clamshell. I put it in an external USB enclosure, hooked it up on a Powerbook G4 and made 2 Partitions first one 128GB second one the rest, then placed it in the iBook, installed tiger and the Hi-Cap driver to make use of the second partition.

How to partition an over 128GB hard drive on an old iBook Clamshell?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.