You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting a Macbook Pro 2013 to 5GHz wifi

So i was thinking of getting a new router, and I have a macbook pro mid 2013 edition. I was wondering 3 things. 1. Will my macbook be able to use the 5GHz wifi? 2. Is there any special way i will need to connect to the wifi or will it automatically use the higher frequency? 3. Is there any reason to use the 2.4GHz rather than the 5GHz? Thanks for the help!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 13, 2014 7:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2014 8:01 AM

You should get a least a dual band router with has two separate radios, one for 2.4 GHz and the other for 5 GHz. They can have different SSIDs so you can connect to the 5 GHz N band.

I suspect that your new MacBook (this is the Mac pro desktop forum) also support the ac band which is faster/better than even N. In that case get a tri-band router

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 13, 2014 8:01 AM in response to born to be orange

You should get a least a dual band router with has two separate radios, one for 2.4 GHz and the other for 5 GHz. They can have different SSIDs so you can connect to the 5 GHz N band.

I suspect that your new MacBook (this is the Mac pro desktop forum) also support the ac band which is faster/better than even N. In that case get a tri-band router

Dec 13, 2014 8:40 AM in response to lllaass

Lllaass is on the right track. You CAN assign different SSIDs to give the appearance of different Networks, or you can assign the same SSID to give the appearance of one Network with two bands available. I recommend you use the same SSID for both. Then your Mac will choose the band and modulation technique that gives the fastest throughput, after allowing for noise and interference.

A dual Band Router provides both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. In most Routers, these radios can operate independently. 802.11n and 802.11ac are advanced modulation techniques that use only the 5GHz band, while earlier versions may use either or both.

Multi-In Multi-Out (MIMO) is an additional high-end capability that can use two channels simultaneously in the same band for improved signal strength, directionality, or just raw speed increase. 802.11ac with MIMO is worth paying extra for, and will improve performance in almost every case. Even if your current devices can not use it today, new ones you buy most certainly will.

Competition and interference on the 2.4GHz band cause no end of grief, especially in crowded neighborhoods where several other Networks are visible. It does not make sense to buy a 2.4GHz-only Router today.

The newest Apple Routers are high end and high quality, and easy to configure, which helps justify their high price compared to "bargain" Routers. But there is no requirement to have an Apple Brand Router.

Connecting a Macbook Pro 2013 to 5GHz wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.