Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Meaning of a symbol next to mailboxes in Mail?

Just to the right of mailboxes, a symbol sometimes appears. It could be described as a tilda, the electrical symbol for AC current, a sine wave or an italicized capital N. I really can't tell what the symbol is. Can anyone say what it means?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 13, 2014 1:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2014 1:51 PM

The tilde symbol next to a mailbox indicates that that account is currently offline - your computer is not connected to the mail server. If everything is working ok you can just click on the tilde to get connected again.

2 replies

Dec 14, 2014 10:47 AM in response to CT

Strange...that's what I thought it meant. Maybe it's just another of Yosemite's many, many bugs, but the tilde symbol appears often when I've downloaded all my mail, and so the account is obviously online. In fact, thinking that it meant the account was offline, I recently sent myself an email to make sure the account was online, and the email appeared in my inbox, but the tilde was next to the inbox throughout.

Meaning of a symbol next to mailboxes in Mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.