Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt Display USB and FaceTime and Audio not work after firmware 1.2 update

I see lots of the symptom here. Here is mine:

After update to firmware 1.2, recent I woke up my Mac, Everything but display is gone from my Thunderbolt Display.

My Mac is MacBook Pro 13 inches with retina display and OS X Yosemite 10.10.1.

What still works?

• Charging, LED on Magsafe works.
  • Display, the monitor works as usual.

What do not works?

• Audio, output/input device do not show on System Preference.
  • Brightness adjust: F1 and F2 do not work anymore.
  • FaceTime Camera is gone, even Skype cannot detect that.
  • Firewire 800, Ethernet, USB ports not work.

What proofs the hardware is ok?

• When I unplugged the thunderbolt connector from my Mac, the USB works, to charging my iPhone.
  • When I boot with Windows 8.1 from Bootcamp, Windows can detect my Thunderbolt display audio, but the sound is very tiny. Ports and FaceTime do not work.

What I've tried?

• SMC reset,
  • PRAM reset,
  • Hardware test,
  • unplugged everything from TBD for whole night.
  • Switch to my Mac mini, same issue.

I guess there's no problem with the hardware, but after sleep, the firmware locked something in the sleep statues permanently. I use my TBD for two years and out of warranty, It seems cost $500+ to replace the logic board. Waiting for firmware 1.3 and pray for fix.

Thunderbolt Display (27-inch), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 13, 2014 12:46 PM

24 replies

Dec 15, 2014 12:05 AM in response to BobbyTung

I'm having these exact same problems. It's hugely annoying because now instead of being able to just work normally during the day I have to constantly fight with the display trying to get certain features to work (because sometimes they will temporarily work after restarting).

I'm sorry for not contributing a solution, but I'm hoping that more complaints means Apple will get to fixing it sooner.

Dec 16, 2014 12:41 AM in response to BobbyTung

I can attest that despite the suggestions to unplug it all and reset it all, my Thunderbolt Display stopped producing audio and its USB ports stopped working after the v1.2 firmware update. There is nothing I can do to reliably restore either. The hard resets does bring back sound, but the moment my MBP sleeps, all subsequent sessions the Thunderbolt Display no longer works. I would argue that the USB system in the display does not wake from sleep when the MBP wakes from sleep.

Dec 24, 2014 6:30 AM in response to BobbyTung

I'm having this exact same problem: TB Display with late 2011 MBP on Yosemite 10.10.1 with the TB v1.2 firmware update.

All display features work until the computer goes to sleep. Upon wake; display USB, audio, camera no longer work.

It's most definitely not the TBD cable, as suggested by tbirdvet – my system was working reliably without problems before my upgrade to Yosemite.

None of the usual remedies have worked; SMC and PRAM resets. ABSOLUTELY annoying.

Reinforces the prevailing sentiment among pro users that the TB Display is abandonware – and that pro products in general are an extremely low-priority at Apple Inc.

Jan 17, 2015 7:45 PM in response to TSzostek

I have the same problem also. I have not found a solution.

I took my TB Display to an Apple store. The closet one is a 60+ minute drive away. They had the display for a couple of days and said they would run tests on it with equipment they had there. I'm not sure if they did or not. They said they would call me about the display after their testing and did not. They said they could not find anything wrong with the display, They advised me to bring my MacBook and peripherals with me next time so they can test it all. Unfortunately I don't have time for that currently as I need to use this equipment for work. I may have to take a day off to address this issue.

I've only had this display since 2011. I've had other monitors that lasted much longer with no issues whatsoever. I'm disappointed in the warranty protection. This appears to be a defect either in a part or a design and I don't think we should have to pay to have that defect corrected. I own an inferior Samsung monitor that came with a 3 year warranty out of the box. Samsung even sent me a box so I could have it fixed by their service center at one point. In contrast Apple informed me that I would have to pay for my next (would be the 2nd) phone call about this issue and that I would have to pay for the repair if one was needed. They did do the testing at the store free of charge.

I've used Apple computers since 1982, owned numerous PowerMacs, G3s, Apple peripherals, A MacBook Pro, and other Apple products. I've turned people in my family onto Apple products, switching them from PCs, Androids, and Samsung devices to Apple alternatives. My Mom even purchased Apple stock recently after numerous conversations with her. She wishes she bought stock back when I suggested purchasing it at $12 a share in the mid/later 90's.

It's very disappointing having an experience like this with the Thunderbolt monitor because the amazing, insanely great Apple that I am always evangelizing to my family and friends isn't living up to it's responsibilities in solving this Thunderbolt display problem.

Jan 21, 2015 9:23 AM in response to BobbyTung

Same issue here, installed some update, and then my USB ports stopped working, as well as the speakers, the ethernet and the webcam.

I also noticed that it's not instant anymore to get the monitor to display the desktop when plugged in, more like 10-20s, and that the USB ports work fine when the thunderbolt connector is unplugged! I've got a magic charger on one of the USB port and a DVD player on another, and when the thunderbolt connector is unplugged, then the magic charger is charging and I hear the DVD player spinning.

I'm having the same issue with the three macbooks I tried (all three on the latest Yosemite) and no suggested solution worked (rebooting, resetting ram, replugging... you name it)

I hope this gets solved pretty soon, without the docking feature this Monitor becomes pretty useless to me, if it wasn't such an expensive piece of hardware I'd have replaced it already. I'm also upset to experience so many critical issues with recent Apple products and software updates... what's going on?

Feb 7, 2015 10:56 PM in response to mfkamprath

I can confirm that this issue is independent of the computer attached to the Thunderbolt display. I have tried my v1.2 firmware Thunderbolt Display with a 2011 MBP, a 2014 MBP, and a Mac Mini. In all cases, when the computer goes to sleep, the USB elements of the Thunderbolt Display stop working until I power cycle the display.

I'm dumbfounded that Apple has not a) acknowledged the issue and b) issued a fix.

Mar 24, 2015 9:48 PM in response to simonrim

I tried this unplugging/replugging method but the problem persists. In my case if I power down the computer and then power up the thunderbolt monitor the volume and usb works until I select sleep from the Apple menu. When it wakes up from a user initiated sleep the usb/camera/volume does not work on wake up. If I allow it to auto sleep through the timer in the power saving settings then the volume and usb works when it wakes back up. Unplugging it from the wall and then plugging it back in doesn't solve the problem in my case.

I'm thinking the techs at the genius bar didn't run through the scenarios when testing my TB Monitor. I guess I'll take it back and see what they have to say.

Before the update I didn't have any problems with the monitor.

Mar 25, 2015 11:21 AM in response to robert.clapp

This is exactly what happens to me... If my macbook pro is disconnected from the screen, the USB ports on the display work (e.g. to charge connected devices such the phone). Another strange thing is that the Firmware and the Port Micro Firmware versions as displayed in the System Report seem outdated: definitely not 26.2 and 2.0.7 as it should be after the firmware update:

About Thunderbolt Display Firmware Update 1.2 - Apple Support

Could you please check if this is the case for you too?

Mar 25, 2015 1:04 PM in response to Maxmen9

I checked the firmware versions listed in the System Report. My Thunderbolt Display Firmware is listed as 26.2 and the Port Micro Firmware Version is 2.0.7

Another odd thing I have noticed. When my computer wakes from user initiated sleep and the TB Display USB/Cam/Audio isn't working, there is another effect on audio. Video in Firefox (ie. YouTube, SkillShare) will not play audio even when the Mac Book Internal Speakers are designated as output. Safari plays audio no problem. If I restart Firefox no problems with audio.

I'll have to do more testing to see what the pattern is, whether it's the browser being opened on the monitor after wake from user initiated sleep, and if it's only limited to Firefox. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to beta test my Thunderbolt Monitor so I'm not sure when I'll get to it.

Thunderbolt Display USB and FaceTime and Audio not work after firmware 1.2 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.