Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini - Monitor Signal at Startup

I've got a PPC Mac Mini and a Philips 17 inch monitor (not DVI).

The monitor works fine, but I have 2 questions:

1) If the monitor is not on when I power up the Mac Mini, the monitor displays a "No Signal" message when I turn it on - unplugging and plugging the monitor back in doesn't work and I have to power down and reboot the Mini before the monitor gets the signal again.

If the monitor is on when the Mac Mini starts up, everything works fine.

It's almost as if the Mac Mini decides not to output a signal if it doesn't sense a monitor at boot time - is this what's happening? If so, is there a magic combination of keys I can hit on the keyboard to activate the monitor signal or a setting I can change to keep this from happening?

2) I recently got a Belkin Flip KVM switch and now that the Mac Mini is plugged into it, the Mac Mini no longer senses my monitor correctly - it now senses it as a generic VGA monitor.

Oddly enough, when I first set up the Flip, the instructions teel you to hook up one PC first, power up that PC, and then hook the second one up after the first one is working. When I did this I hooked up the Mac Mini first, and the monitor was being autosensed correctly until I set up the 2nd PC (an IBM compatible). After the 2nd PC was hooked to the Flip, that's when the monitor stopped being sensed correctly.

I can't find any way in the Monitor Preferences in OS X to specify a particular monitor, but I'm sure there's a way to force it back to the right monitor type manually. Can someone tell me how to do this?

Mac Mini Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on Oct 2, 2006 7:35 AM

2 replies

Oct 2, 2006 10:49 PM in response to Michael Heggemann

As far as I know, there is no way to force the point of not re-detecting a display everytime a plugging event is sensed on the video port of a Mac. That behavior is deeply rooted and may be out of reach of the OS. Display detection happens even prior to the OS booting up, when the Mac is under firmware control of OF (PPC) or EFI (Intel). I've never heard of any way to lock down the port and lock the resolution. Sorry. Maybe someone else knows better and you'll get another answer in the affirmative. I'd love to know a way to do this myself.

Oct 4, 2006 7:15 AM in response to Michael Heggemann

I'm having a similar problem. I have to press the power button to wake the mini within 5-10 seconds after turning on the television. The television has to be set to the proper input upon power up and i cannot switch to a separate input and then back to the mac without loosing signal again. What can I do about this?

mac mini intel dual core, 12" & 15" powerbook g4 Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Mac Mini - Monitor Signal at Startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.