Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Parental Controls virgin media problem

Hi everyone, I'm on a macbook running 10.6.8.

I set up a user for my young children, and using parental controls restricted the websites they could view. I've allowed youtube, and the parental control works great because they can't click on the ads etc.

Last sunday I upgraded my virgin media broadband to Large and plugged in my new 'superhub' modem/router.

When I finally had it all set up and let them back onto the computer, we went to the kids user and tried to visit youtube.com and it just wouldn't load up at all. Error message was – "the connection was interrupted" and said that couldn't connect, youtube wasn't available etc.

On my user we were able to access youtube, allbeit really pretty slowly. Was pretty confused as this is youtube! one of the biggest websites in the world, surely youtube wouldn't be 'down'.

My 'tech'y friend said that he'd found out that virgin use their own youtube servers in order for it to be quicker etc.

Do it need to allow a different website on the parental control list now? Or is there some other setting I need to change/add somewhere?

Must be some kind of change in the information reaching my computer as the website is not blocked and the error is different to when trying to connect to a blocked site.

Have posted on the virginmedia forums, bot nothing yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks...

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 13, 2014 2:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2015 1:12 PM

So, I appear to have fixed it:

I opened the parental control setting bit on the Mac. Under the 'web' tab it helpfully includes a 'logs' button.

This shows the websites visited [with number of times etc and when] plus also the blocked websites [websites that have tried to be accessed but failed].

So just went on to the kids user and tried youtube – knowing that it wouldn't work – then went back to the logs on my user to located the problem.

Said 'Ntl' had just been blocked twice. You can then chose to 'open' that site on my user – opened some website that included some letters and number but ended .lan.ntl.com/

I was then able to ADD that site to the allowed list. And bobs' your uncle – it now works!!!!

Hooray!!!

Apple you geniuses ......

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2015 1:12 PM in response to soulmansi

So, I appear to have fixed it:

I opened the parental control setting bit on the Mac. Under the 'web' tab it helpfully includes a 'logs' button.

This shows the websites visited [with number of times etc and when] plus also the blocked websites [websites that have tried to be accessed but failed].

So just went on to the kids user and tried youtube – knowing that it wouldn't work – then went back to the logs on my user to located the problem.

Said 'Ntl' had just been blocked twice. You can then chose to 'open' that site on my user – opened some website that included some letters and number but ended .lan.ntl.com/

I was then able to ADD that site to the allowed list. And bobs' your uncle – it now works!!!!

Hooray!!!

Apple you geniuses ......

Parental Controls virgin media problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.