Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad keeps asking me to set up a new cellular data plan

Using an iPad Air 2 128GB with Cellular/WiFi iOS v8.1.2

I keep getting a notification that asks if I want to set up a cellular data plan.

I don't want to set up a cellular data plan.... Maybe someday in the future, but not now. I don't see any way to turn this off. Under the cellular option in settings, there is no toggle to turn this on or off. I read elsewhere something about turning off Bluetooth, but this does not fix my problem.

I read elsewhere to take out the SIM, but then I saw a follow up that it didn't help that guy. I don't want to take out the SIM, I may very well just lose it.. lol..

Any suggestions to turn off this annoying, repeating notice?

Thanks!!

User uploaded file

iPad Air 2 WiFi, Cellular, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Dec 13, 2014 4:49 PM

21 replies

Jan 12, 2015 9:48 AM in response to David blod

I'm really not sure what the problem is. I'm clearly using a Cellular enabled iPad without Cellular (using WiFi only) without any problem... I'll make the obvious suggestion; make sure the WiFi settings are set up correctly? (and obviously turned on?) And maybe some basic troubleshooting of your home WiFi network; i.e. restart your router, try on a different WiFi network, etc?

Jan 12, 2015 9:53 AM in response to Dr.Germ

There are 2 different settings on your WiFi + Cellular iPad model, one for wireless (or WiFi) and the other for Cellular data. If you don't have a cellular plan for the iPad, there's no reason to leave cellular radio ON all the time because it really does nothing without a data plan (and eats up battery too). Go to Settings - Cellular Data. Switch it OFF.

Jan 14, 2015 5:08 AM in response to Dr.Germ

Just an update.. the solution asking Siri to "turn off cellular data" worked for us. However, if one is not connected to a wifi and you ask for service by opening a web browswer or other app that needs internet it still will ASK you to set up Cell plan.. BUT it won't pop up every 5- 10 mintues like it did before. In a 24 hour period it only popped up ONCE.... and that is a big improvement.

My iPad keeps asking me to set up a new cellular data plan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.