Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple iMessage recieves from others apple id

Hey guys, I've recently updated to ios 8.1.2 and I iMessaged my friend and then it sent as a text which isn't a problem but then I got a reply back and it had his apple id and was using iMessage. Then I went into the original conversation it still sent as a text and at the bar where your write it says "Text Message" but then when I go into the conversation with my friends apple id it says "iMessage". I'm not really quite sure why it is doing this. I'm using AT&T's 4G in my house along with my homes wifi. I thought turning off my phone and then turning it back on would fix the problem but it didn't. Then I thought deleting my contact then re-adding it would fix the problem but it didn't. I have an iPhone 5S What is going on?

Thanks for the help!!

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Dec 13, 2014 5:56 PM

1 reply

Dec 15, 2014 10:50 AM in response to gpasq1027

Hey there gpasq1027,

It sounds like you can receive iMessages but cannot send them. I would recommend the troubleshooting in the following article to help you resolve what is happening here, named:

iOS: Troubleshooting Messages

Start with this section, and continue with the rest of the iMessage portion of it if needed:

To resolve issues with sending and receiving iMessages, follow these steps

1. Check iMessage system status for current service issues.
  2. Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and make sure that you registered iMessage with your phone number or Apple ID and that you selected iMessage for use. If the phone number or Apple ID isn't available for use, troubleshoot iMessage registration.
  3. Open Safari and navigate to www.apple.com to verify data connectivity. If a data connection isn't available, troubleshoot cellular data or a Wi-Fi connection.
  4. iMessage over cellular data might not be available while you're on a call. Only 3G and faster GSM networks support simultaneous data and voice calls. Learn which network your phone supports. If your network doesn't support simultaneous data and voice calls, go to Settings > Wi-Fi and turn Wi-Fi on to use iMessage while you're on a call.
  5. Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings on your iPhone.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care,

Sterling

Apple iMessage recieves from others apple id

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.