Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MMS under iOS 8 on iPhone 5 on Consumer Cellular

Does anyone have MMS (picture messaging) working under iOS 8 on Consumer Cellular (an ATT MVNO)? If so, please share what you had to do to get it working! Thanks!

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Dec 13, 2014 7:11 PM

9 replies

Dec 15, 2014 11:02 AM in response to mphstl

Hi mphstl,

Thanks for the question. Based on what you stated, it seems like you are having trouble with MMS messages. I would recommend that you read this article, it may be able to help you isolate or resolve the issue.

iOS: Troubleshooting Messages - Apple Support

If you can't send and receive MMS

You will need these to send and receive MMS:

• An iPhone 3G or later
  • iOS 3.1 or later
  • A cellular data connection (MMS isn't available if you're using only Wi-Fi)
  • A domestic MMS plan from your cellular provider. You might need an international messaging plan to send MMS to an international contact (Contact your carrier for more information.)
  • A roaming MMS when using a cellular provider's network that is different from your billing cellular provider's network (Learn more about roaming and contact your carrier for more information.)

To resolve issues with sending and receiving MMS, follow these steps

1. Go to Settings and turn airplane mode off.
  2. Go to Settings > Messages and turn MMS Messaging on.
  3. Go to Settings > Cellular and turn Cellular Data on.
  4. Go to Settings > Cellular and turn Data Roaming on if you're roaming on a cellular provider network that is different from your billing provider's network.
  5. Make sure that you have a cellular data connection in the status bar of your iPhone.
  6. Go to Settings and turn Wi-Fi off. Open Safari and navigate to www.apple.com to verify that you have a data connection. Turn Wi-Fi back on to continue using Wi-Fi for other features. If your cellular data connection isn't available, follow these steps.
  7. Make sure that you can send and receive SMS. If you can't send and receive SMS, see the "Issues with sending and receiving SMS" section, above. MMS might not be available while you're on a call. Only 3G and faster GSM networks support simultaneous data and voice calls. Learn more about which network your phone supports.
  8. Restart your iPhone.
  9. Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings on your iPhone.
  10. Remove your SIM card and insert it again.

If you still can't send or receive MMS, follow these steps

1. Make sure that the contact trying to message you isn't blocked in Settings > Messages > Blocked.
  2. Go to Settings > Messages and turn on group messaging if you're sending a group message.
  3. Make sure that you're using the area code with the contact's phone number. When you send messages internationally, you also need the contact's international code.
  4. If you're using a "Pay as you go" MMS plan, make sure it has enough available balance. If you're unsure of your MMS plan or available balance, contact your carrier.
  5. If the issue occurs with a specific contact or contacts, back up or forward important messages and delete your current messaging threads with the contact. Create a new message to the contact and try again.
  6. If the issue occurs with a specific contact or contacts, delete and recreate the contact from the Contacts app. Send a new message to the new contact.
  7. Back up and restore your iPhone as new.
  8. If your carrier has recently ported your phone number, the porting process might not be complete. Contact your carrier to confirm that the porting process is complete.
  9. Contact your carrier to verify that you're provisioned to send SMS and are in an area with cellular coverage.
  10. Contact your carrier to verify that there aren't blocks or filters on your wireless account preventing you from sending SMS.
  11. Your carrier might require modified APN settings to use MMS.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Mario

Dec 29, 2014 9:12 AM in response to mphstl

I was complaining about not getting picture mail to a friend who also has Consumer Cellular. He was able to set up picture messaging, so, he grabbed my phone and set me up.

*** warning, this was on my android phone. I have no idea how you get to this using an apple. If there is a way, I'd love to hear about it. I have an IPAD AIR 2 with cellular capabilities (ATT) that I can't even get to work with Consumer Cellular and can't even find a way to get to these setting. Ihoping someone out there knows how.

SETTINGS / CONNECTION / MORE NETWORKS / MOBILE NETWORKS / ACCESS POINT NAMES / CONSUMER CELLULAR ((must be green) and then tap)

So, there are the setting on my phone:

Name: Consumer Cellular

APN: att.mvno

Proxy: 66.209.11.32

Port: 80

User Name: not set

Password: not set

Server: not set

MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com

Multimedia message proxy: 66.209.11.32

Multimedia message port: 80

MCC: 310

MNC: 410

Autentication type: None

APN type: default,mms,agpd,supl,fota

APN protocol: IPv4

APN roaming protocol: IPv4

Turn APN on/off: APN turned on

Bearer: Unspeficied

Mobile Virtual network operator type: None

Mobile Virtual network operator: Not Set

I hope this helps.

Dec 29, 2014 12:33 PM in response to altajoe

Hi,

The issue is that I can not manually set the APN settings on an iPhone under iOS 8 (or iOS 7 for that matter). The Settings -> Cellular section does not contain the capability to manually set the APN. I should mention that I'm working with a phone that I know for certain is "factory unlocked" (i.e., went through the unlock process with AT&T and got the "Congratulations your phone is unlocked" message after doing a restore).

The other wrinkle, that I haven't mentioned, is that if I pop in a T-Mobile SIM, new options magically appear under "Settings -> Cellular", such that I could edit the APN settings if using T-Mobile.

So, it really appears to me that there is either a bug in the "carrier" file that Apple won't fix, or Apple and AT&T actually have some intentional agreement to "hide" the APN features when a phone is using AT&T's network (even for factory unlocked phones!), including MVNO's such as Consumer Cellular, which is certainly convenient for AT&T because it prevents the MVNO customers that are using iPhones from using picture messaging.

I was on the phone with Consumer Cellular for over an hour yesterday. The rep was very helpful in working through the situation, including "resetting" various things on their end, but ultimately, we could not get picture messaging working for either our iPhone 5, or iPhone 4S (both at iOS 8.1.2 now). She insisted that picture messaging (MMS) does work for other CC customers with iPhones at iOS 8, but if so, then there should be someone out there that can confirm this.

So, if you have MMS working on Consumer Cellular with an iPhone 4S or later, on iOS 8, I'd love to hear from you! (Make sure though that it is truly MMS, and you're not just sending pictures via Apple's "iMessage" feature).

cheers

Apr 2, 2015 6:37 PM in response to mphstl

I have the same problem.

I was also assured by AT&T that my iPhone 4S was unlocked, but I cannot manage APN settings. Before an iOS 7 update, you could get around this by doing the T-Mobile SIM card swap. However, after updating my settings were reset and the SIM card swap doesn't work anymore.

It seems to me that only people with iPhones from AT&T are having this problem.

Apr 2, 2015 7:21 PM in response to abarrios

Even after an unlock from AT&T, the AT&T carrier file remains the file until you insert the SIM from a supported carrier and that carrier file has a chance to load. It does not happen immediately, it needs to be activated first, and then you check for the carrier file. Until the time you either use a supported carrier that allows for APN manual settings, or a carrier that has its own carrier file for you to have your APN settings set, then you will experience this problem. AT&T does not allow for APN settings because they provide a carrier file for the phone that contains the latest settings, to ensure its compatibility with their network.

MMS under iOS 8 on iPhone 5 on Consumer Cellular

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.