Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp - Windows support software server down?

I have been attempting to download the Windows support software all day but it just sits there. This is a for a new Mac Mini 2014 2.6. Boot camp assistant is really driving me crazy! I chatted with someone at Apple who tried all kinds of other solutions besides investigating the actual issue. How do I get thru to Apple that there is an issue downloading this software??????

Mac mini (Late 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Boot Camp

Posted on Dec 14, 2014 12:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2014 3:35 AM

Quite a few users have reported this. Apple, in their infinite wisdom, has removed a direct download feature. From Boot Camp: System requirements for Microsoft Windows operating systems - Apple Support

Boot Camp requirements by Mac model

Use the table below to find out which version of Boot Camp and Windows are supported on your Mac:

BCA: Use Boot Camp Assistant (BCA) to download the latest Boot Camp software for your Mac instead of manually downloading this software from the Apple Support website. The support software available from Boot Camp Assistant is newer than what is currently available as a manual download. Select the option to "Download the latest Windows support software from Apple" in Boot Camp Assistant to automatically get the latest Windows drivers for your Mac as part of installation.

The version is 5.1.5766.

In some cases, switching your DNS servers from OpenDNS to Google DNS or vice-a-versa seems to help. This is a hit-and-miss solution.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2014 3:35 AM in response to ccorrice

Quite a few users have reported this. Apple, in their infinite wisdom, has removed a direct download feature. From Boot Camp: System requirements for Microsoft Windows operating systems - Apple Support

Boot Camp requirements by Mac model

Use the table below to find out which version of Boot Camp and Windows are supported on your Mac:

BCA: Use Boot Camp Assistant (BCA) to download the latest Boot Camp software for your Mac instead of manually downloading this software from the Apple Support website. The support software available from Boot Camp Assistant is newer than what is currently available as a manual download. Select the option to "Download the latest Windows support software from Apple" in Boot Camp Assistant to automatically get the latest Windows drivers for your Mac as part of installation.

The version is 5.1.5766.

In some cases, switching your DNS servers from OpenDNS to Google DNS or vice-a-versa seems to help. This is a hit-and-miss solution.

Dec 14, 2014 7:30 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately changing DNS servers to google IP4 and back did not fix this. I'm using an Airport Extreme. All software is up to date. I really believe this issue is on Apple's end but I have no way to get to anyone there that will work the issue from their side and not mine. Very frustrating!

Dec 14, 2014 8:26 AM in response to ccorrice

Can you post the exact year/model of your Mac? If yes, then I can post the correct version in a dropbox. Please be careful though. You may not want to trust me (or anyone else on the internet). Even if you can get it from the dropbox, BCA can still cause problems.

Can you download software if you ONLY check the Download BC software check box?

Feb 15, 2015 11:08 AM in response to Loner T

Seems that Apple didn't solve the problem since december 2014, I have the same. I have a Mac mini late-2014 with fusion drive and every try I made with a flash drive created with BCA was unsuccessful. When the system does partition the disk and reboot, windows starts but at time to format BOOTCAMP partition and trying to install, windows tells me "unable to find partition, restart and try again". Then I'll have a try with a DVD install and BC 5.1.5766 manual install, with the .dmg which you provided. Will let you know the issue in a future post. Anyone experienced or experiencing the same with "BCA listed models" is invited to reply.

Feb 15, 2015 7:19 PM in response to ulikemysong

Well, I finally solved the problem. This was due to external Thunderbolt Docking Station with 2xUSB3 drives plugged in. If you plan to install windows over your mac via BCA, unplugg all non-needed devices, particulary Thunderbolt2 or USB3 hubs and external HDD, even your TM device and use integrated USB. An USB2 flash drive may be needed but I doubt this was really a problem as I already installed "Mavericks" and previous OS X versions from USB3 flash drives. Best regards.

Feb 15, 2015 7:44 PM in response to ulikemysong

ulikemysong wrote:

An USB2 flash drive may be needed but I doubt this was really a problem as I already installed "Mavericks" and previous OS X versions from USB3 flash drives. Best regards.

OSX has USB3 drivers, but Windows does not. There have been numerous instances related to Bootcamp and USB3. Good to see a successful BC installation.

Feb 15, 2015 7:50 PM in response to Loner T

Oh. OK. Then for all who tries the same, use USB2 flash drive, integrated USB and unplugg your USB3 hubs.

Loner T wrote:

ulikemysong wrote:

An USB2 flash drive may be needed but I doubt this was really a problem as I already installed "Mavericks" and previous OS X versions from USB3 flash drives. Best regards.

OSX has USB3 drivers, but Windows does not. There have been numerous instances related to Bootcamp and USB3. Good to see a successful BC installation.

Does that mean I can't expect my Thunderbolt2 Docking station and USB3 drives function under my windows 8.1 on Bootcamp ?

Feb 15, 2015 8:25 PM in response to ulikemysong

They will work after the BC drivers are installed. The Windows Installer media does not have USB3 drivers, and for some unknown and very odd reason, BCA, when building the $WinPEDriver$ folder omits to add it in. WinPE has its own limitations. You can read about WinPE at https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766093(v=ws.10).aspx.

In BC Drivers version 5.1.5640, the WinPE environment has AppleBluetoothBroadcom64, IntelHDGraphics64, IntelxHCISetup (for Win7).

In version 5.1.5621, the WinPE environment has AppleBluetoothBroadcom64, IntelHDGraphics64. Each Mac year/model behaves differently.

USB2 is the lowest common denominator and the cleanest and safest approach.

Feb 25, 2015 12:59 PM in response to ccorrice

I purchased a late 2014 Mac Mini, the $469 model, and wanted to install Windows 7.

BootCamp5.1.5640 & BootCamp5.1.5621 do NOT contain the drivers needed, they must be obtained by selecting 'Boot Camp' in OSX and downloading the drivers using the utility.

Windows 7 lacks USB 3.0 drivers so installing Windows 7 directly from DVD or restoring from a Windows Image both resulted in Windows loading but the USB keyboard & mouse failed to function.

Installing Windows 7 (as the only OS or as a dual boot) is accomplished by allowing the BootCamp assistant to add the missing drivers to the Windows 7 ISO.

Cloning instructions: Add the drivers to Windows/INF/drivers and then run Sysprep on the original Windows System. I then used Acronis to restore the image to the Mac Mini and the USB drivers & others were installed. I had to manually install the ethernet, wireless, Intel Management, and audio drivers from the windows/inf/drivers folder I created earlier.

Boot Camp - Windows support software server down?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.