Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite screen sharing in Message not working

I'm using a brand new MacBook Pro running Yosemite to try and share the screen of my father in law's brand new iMac, also running Yosemite. I open one of our conversations in Messages, request to share his screen, he approves it on his machine, and after about 30 seconds I get this error dialogue:

User uploaded file

Screen sharing is definitely enabled on his iMac because he's already put in a support call to Apple about it and they got him to enable the settings.

Anybody else having this experience? Thanks.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 14, 2014 2:22 AM

25 replies

Dec 15, 2014 12:50 PM in response to alby_williams

Greetings alby_williams,

From what I can gather from your post, Screen Sharing is failing while attempting to connect. I was able to locate an article that provides some basic troubleshooting steps which you may want to try:

OS X Yosemite: If you can’t share computer screens

Troubleshoot screen sharing

If you’re having problems sharing your screen with another Mac, or viewing a shared screen on your Mac, there are several things to check.

Make sure you turned on screen sharing and set up sharing permissions on the Mac whose screen you want to share. See Share your screen.

If you’re trying to share the screen of another Mac, open Sharing preferences on that Mac and make sure you’re in the list of users who have permission to share its screen.

Make sure neither Mac is in sleep mode. Adjust sleep settings using Energy Saver preferences.

If you’re using Back to My Mac to share screens, make sure it’s turned on on both computers. See Share your screen using Back to My Mac.

Make sure both computers are connected to the same network or, if you’re sharing screens using Back to My Mac, make sure they’re both connected to the Internet.

To check your connection, open the Network pane of System Preferences. The indicator next to your type of network connection should be green.

If there’s a problem with your network connection, use Network Diagnostics to troubleshoot.

Thank you for contributing to Apple Support Communities.

Be well,

BobbyD

Dec 15, 2014 2:10 PM in response to alby_williams

Hi,

Any Jabber account (Google, Facebook or other Jabber server) or any AIM Valid Login can Screen Share within the Messages app itself.

However in Yosemite Screen Sharing has been added to the iMessages account.

This like the Video or Audio Chat invoking FaceTime (Another app) the Screen Sharing invoke the actual Screen Sharing App which is part of Apple Remote Desktop and hidden away in the System Side of things.

It need you to go to System Preferences > Sharing on your computer as well as his and Enable Screen Sharing.

You cannot have Remote Management enabled at the same time as that is also linked to Apple Remote Desktop.

User uploaded file

10:10 pm Monday; December 15, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Dec 16, 2014 2:01 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi Ralph and Bobby D,

Thanks for your contributions. I should have been clearer - screen sharing is enabled for all users on the target machine. Someone from AppleCare talked him through setting them and I've talked through them with him as well - screen sharing is on and enabled for all users. When I request access using Messages, he gets a menubar dropdown asking to allow me to share his screen. Then after about 30 seconds I get the error message from my OP.

There is nothing wrong with his internet connection, obviously he is online while we're trying this.

My problem is about what happens when all the settings are correct and Yosemite screen sharing through Message still doesn't connect, and it still fails to connect with the error message above. We don't want to use Jabber or Gmail or some other third party service. We want to use this documented feature of Mac OS X, which is correctly set up.

I am happy to do it the old fashioned way by forwarding port 5900 to his machine and VNC'ing directly to his IP, but before that, has anyone else has this experience with this feature?

Dec 17, 2014 12:15 PM in response to alby_williams

Hi,

From your first post I thought that there was a lack of any info about the settings at your end.

I wrote in my last paragraph:-

It needs you to go to System Preferences > Sharing on your computer, as well as his and Enable Screen Sharing.

You cannot have Remote Management enabled at the same time as that is also linked to Apple Remote Desktop.

Whilst you imply that everything is alright at your end it remains a potential issue for this connection failing.

You are right that Apple Remote Desktop and connection made by the Engine are on port 5900.

It would be worth checking that this port is allowed or open in the routers involved.

User uploaded file

8:15 pm Wednesday; December 17, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jan 18, 2015 10:37 PM in response to alby_williams

Did you resolve this issue? I had the same issue connecting with a mac. I went through the settings above and it just wouldn't connect. I did it the previous day with another Mac and it worked fine so I would guess it's a setting their end that needs changing but their sharing is set to on. Are there any other settings/permissions that need looking at. Any ideas?

Feb 25, 2015 5:21 PM in response to bobby_d

Unfortunately, this cut-and-paste from Apple is not helping anyone.

The screen sharing being stripped away by Yosemite is a big problem,

When you are connecting to a computer using 10.9 or 10.8 and you are on 10.10, the screen sharing fails. Most often, people can HEAR you but the screen NEVER becomes visible for sharing and control.

I have had one failure with connecting a 10.10 machine to a 10.10 machine, but 10.10 machines connecting to 10.9 or 10.8 machines habitually fails. And it fails wether using Messages or Jabber or AIM accounts. Nearly every failure has the same effect: they can HEAR but never does the screen actually share.

This is all done via Messages. The screen sharing capabilities really have been damaged.

Feb 26, 2015 12:42 PM in response to c.t.martin

Hi,

The App is called Messages

It can Screen Share within the App in AIM and Jabber Accounts.

In the iMessages account it invokes an outside App (like the iMessages account does for Video by using FaceTime).

Whilst that at the behind the scenes level both methods make use of the Apple Remote Desktop engine the processes to get there are different.

It also makes a difference on how you start the Screen Sharing process as the iMessages method using the "details" option in the main window invokes the iMessages method.

AIM and Jabber Screen Sharing iMessages Screen Sharing
Present since iChat 4 Only since Yosemite
Needs the Video Menu:- Screen Sharing item to be enabled (both ends) Needs Screen Sharing in System Prefs > Sharing to be enabled

Needs a Buddy to be selected in a Buddy List then the Buddies Menu used

or the icon at the bottom of the Buddy List to be used to initiate

In a Text Chat in the Main window the Details item far top right can be used.

This invokes the Screen Sharing App

Using the Details option in an AIM or Jabber Chat invokes Screen Sharing as above and NOT the AIM/Jabber in-app Method

I had a failure to a OS X 10.10.1 computer the other day before I realised that using the Details option invoked iMessages Screen Sharing trying to do it to an AIM name. (I am on OS X 10.10.2)

I changed the Text chat to iMessages and repeated and it worked.

I have since tested from OS X 10.2.2 to Snow Leopard (iChat 5.0.3) with different AIM accounts and a Jabber connection and it works.

I have Messages as an App Allowed in the Firewall.

I also have Screen Sharing as an App Allowed in the Firewall (it is in Hard Drive Name/System/Library/Core Services/Applications).

I know the way my router is set up allows for the random port the AIM/Jabber method uses and the port 5900 that the ARD/Screen Sharing App will use.

Basically as the iMessages method can only connect to other Macs (and not iOS devices) it did not need a completely different process to make this work.

Apple's long standing use of the word messages to mean emails in the Mail App and then changing the name of the iChat app to Messages with the iMessages accounts causes confusion for people trying to describe their problems.

Having two methods to do Video, Audio and now Screen Sharing in the app is also not helpful when trying to solve what is going on.

It is now easy to cause failure as the process used to invoke either method can be confused and lead to failure.

I hope this post might explain where the issue is in the process of starting the Screen Sharing or highlight where the issue might be.

User uploaded file

8:42 pm Thursday; February 26, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Feb 26, 2015 1:24 PM in response to c.t.martin

Hi,

I do feel that the Security Update that was included in OS X 10.10.2 does have some impact on this.

The AIM/Jabber connections are an Audio Chat using the standard Port 5678 for the invite then port 16402 for the SIP connection Process and the same port for the actual Chat with a VNC connection along side on a random port.

The Screen Sharing App method invoked by the iMessages chat Details Option seems to have the VNC connection only on port 5900 (the same as Apple Remote Desktop).

As of yet I have not had enough iMessages invoked Screen Shares to work out if Apple Remote Desktop is handling the Audio chat or if it is silently invoking FaceTime.

As a standalone test of the Screen Sharing App method you can invoke if in the Finder if you have another Mac on your LAN.

Open Finder window showing the Shares in the Side Bar.

Highlight one of those Shares.

Use the Screen Sharing Option. The Screen Sharing app should appear in the Dock and you will be asked to "Sign In" as a User on that computer (My MacBook Pro is only set to allow one User to be accessed in MacBook Pro's System Prefs > Sharing).

Alternatively you can use the Go Menu > Connect to Server and enter VNC:// and the IP address of the other computer.

Bonjour in Messages will do this the AIM/Jabber way.

It needs internet access as it treats is as if it were an AIM or Jabber attempt.

User uploaded file

9:24 pm Thursday; February 26, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 11, 2015 10:21 AM in response to alby_williams

I have this problem as well trying to do screen sharing with my parents' Macs in another state. They took their computers to the local Apple store to see if a Genius could resolve the problem. I continued trying to connect from my house to their computers at the store. He tried many sensible things, but we always got the same error message. No problem connecting when the computers are on the same LAN.

Conclusion is that this feature isn't ready for prime time.

Mar 11, 2015 1:03 PM in response to Andreas Yankopolus

Hi,

I have had no issue with this in AIM, Jabber or iMessages accounts over the Internet to other people.

I do have one Buddy that I can test all three on. I have Buddies I can test AIM and Jabber connections with and others just iMessages.

I will restate.

User uploaded file

AIM (As in the Pic) and Jabber and Bonjour accounts use this Method.

I have Separate Buddy lists for each account I have logged in.

In the Video Menu the options to Enable Video, Audio and Screen Sharing for these accounts are Enabled.

iMessages start differently when you want to Screen Share.

You start from a text chat and the "Details" item top right.

User uploaded file

If you use this method in an AIM or Jabber chat then it invokes the iMessages method.

Going on from this the AIM/Jabber method use the Apple Remote Desktop (ARD) Engine but on the Video Ports for In-App Video for AIM, Jabber or Bonjour in Messages.

This tends to mean that you do not have to enable any more ports in your router.

The Screen Sharing App is used by iMessages (it is still the ARD engine).

It does this on the VNC port that Apple Remote Desktop uses. Port 5900.

Bonjour is for LAN based chats.

Your post is unspecific as to the method you are using and the account type you wish to do it with.

User uploaded file

8:03 pm Wednesday; March 11, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 22, 2015 8:26 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hello, I am having problem getting Screen Sharing via Messages app (using iMessage) to work too. I had actually gotten it to work with my Mom's computer (we're both running Yosemite) but all of the sudden it has stopped working. I see discussion here of Screen Sharing preferences, but in the Help for Messages it says "Screen sharing in Messages is independent of screen-sharing settings in System Preferences. You can share screens using Messages even when Screen Sharing is deselected in the Sharing pane of System Preferences." So at least according to Apple, you don't need to having Screen Sharing enabled in Preferences for this to work. I'm interested to see if anybody else has figured this out!

Mar 22, 2015 2:22 PM in response to LowellGear

Hi,

The app can start Screen Sharing two different ways.

The iChat way, as it were as it has been present since early versions of iChat, works for the AIM, Jabber and Bonjour account you have.

Yahoo that was added in iChat 6 cannot Screen Share and until Yosemite this was true of the iMessages account.

This method is in App and does not require anything in System Preferences > Sharing)

iMessages on the other hand relies on the FaceTime method, as it were, in that it invokes an outside app to do the job for it.

Whilst it makes sense for FaceTime to be invoked for Video chat to iOS devices it makes no sense as you cannot Screen Share to an iOS device using this method.

Anyhow this does use the Screen Sharing App

This is actually located in /System/Library/CoreServices/Applications

If you have other Macs on your LAN and they show up in the Finder's Side Bar as Shares you can click on them

One choice the window gives you is to Screen Share.

The app is invoked when you do this and you have to Login to the other computer.

It is an VNC connection.

In th Finder > Go Menu > Connect to Server you can do the same by entering VNC:// in front of the computer's IP address and it will start up the app.

The Help is not as far along as it should be.

So for iMessages and it's invoking of the Screen Sharing App you need System Preferences > Sharing to be Enabled.

User uploaded file

9:22 pm Sunday; March 22, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Yosemite screen sharing in Message not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.