Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm a bit worried about my early 2011 MBP.... See screenshot...

This was from October 21. This morning I got the same screen (MBP was on all night) but it was more 'graphic'. More little squares. What's going on?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10), iPad (4th gen); iPhone 6

Posted on Dec 14, 2014 6:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2014 6:44 AM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but:

Mine failed in august...you may be able to persuade apple to fix it according to whatever consumer laws you have in your country...

<Link Edited by Host>

17 replies

Dec 15, 2014 8:55 AM in response to mrstee

mrstee wrote:

I just happened to wonder if the issue (whether it's a GPU, cable, etc. problem) could explain why the fan runs fast when I think it shouldn't. Like now-I am not doing anything other than replying here. Mail is open and iTunes. That's it. Just a thought....

Apple can run their Diagnostic and be able to answer that question for you.

Otherwise it is pure speculation on my part, but I can see them related.

Good luck !

Dec 15, 2014 4:43 PM in response to mrstee

Well, I drove an hour & a half to get to my nearest Genius Bar and left my laptop there so more in depth tests can be run. The initial test showed all is just fine but the person that was assigned my case focused on the 3rd party memory until I let her know that it was installed when I got the MBP 3 years ago. The replacement of the memory (if that is the issue) will be much cheaper than the other potential solutions-$160 for new memory, $310 to replace whatever is bad (sent to the 'depot' & a one price fits all price tag) & then the $500+-$600+ costs if fixed somewhere (my eyes glazed over when she mentioned those prices so I really wasn't listening). Of course I was hoping for a free repair but I will see what the tests reveal in a few days.

Dec 15, 2014 4:48 PM in response to mrstee

The fans are running so fast because of the GPU that is overheating - that's what causes the crashes/problems - eventually it gets so hot it fails. It's a very common thing for this model of MacBook and Apple has been aware of it for years. Heavy use seems to trigger the problem (gets hotter and hotter and hotter) and eventually it can fail permanently and you can't do anything about it if it is the dreaded GPU failure problem (other than never use it).

Hope it isn't the gpu, so cross your fingers, and hope the genius can figure things out for you.

Good luck...

Dec 15, 2014 5:45 PM in response to dot.com

Gulp..... I followed the posts about this issue here in the Apple Discussions but at the time all I was experiencing was the constantly high speed running fan. Now I have the wacky, mosaic-like desktop picture.... I certainly hope the genius at the Genius Bar can fix it without breaking the bank. Thanks all for the good luck wishes.....

Dec 18, 2014 6:46 PM in response to mrstee

Uplate.... Dropped off my MBP on Monday at the Genius Bar. I explained it was a very random problem, showed them the picture & said, oh by the way the fan runs fast and often. Got a voicemail this afternoon. It checks out just fine, couldn't reproduce the problem, come pick it up. So I guess I wait for total failure... Ugh.

Dec 19, 2014 7:12 PM in response to mrstee

mrstee--

What apps are you usually using when these occur? For instance, when I would run InDesign, Photoshop, Word, Mail & Safari all at the same time, I would have some graphic weirdness.

When the fans run fast, open up your Activity Monitor application from the Utilities folder, and see what's taking up most of the CPU space.

It's important to know what it is you're doing when this happens.

Especially since Apple can't reproduce it.

Fingers crossed.

Dec 20, 2014 1:18 PM in response to TildeBee

Hi Bee-I don't have any of the apps that you mentioned, InDesign, Photoshop, Word. But I do have some apps that run in the background and there was one in particular that I think that could have been the culprit-Everalbum. I deleted it just now and my fan that had been running from last night through about 2pm today (Saturday) finally stopped. That being said I am doubtful that the screenshot I posted could have been caused by that app but then maybe it did.....

The other app that is running right now is Crash Plan. I have had that for years and never had an issue with it causing the fan to run excessively.

I did open up Activity Monitor and saw that Everalbum was at the top of the list. Now it's gone and I see Crash Plan, Transporter Desktop, coreaudiod (?) but they are using far less than Everalbum-Everalbum was using over 50% of my CPU! The ones I just mentioned are using 6%-7%.

I wanted to mention that when I picked up my MBP yesterday I showed the woman who brought out my computer the picture in my first posting and she said that she gets that screen when she is doing 'a lot' and that it is probably my third party RAM causing the problem. She was very curt and not at all like any other Apple Store employee I have dealt with over the many years of using Apple products.

So that is where I stand now. Fan is not running. And my MBP is still working. I use Time Machine and have a clone backup (done every night) so I am as prepared as can be when this computer fails. Not looking forward to spending the money on a new one but who doesn't love a new Mac???? ;-)

I'm a bit worried about my early 2011 MBP.... See screenshot...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.