Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

27" monitor with mac pro (mini DP to DVI?)

i have a 2006 mac pro and just bought a 2012 mac pro that i am hoping to hook up to the monitor above with a KVM switch.

one thing i have never understood and would like to understand:

this monitor was a replacement for a monitor that was broken in transit while under repair. when i brought it home i found i could not use it and they gave me a belkin "mini DP to DVI" cord which basically needs to be powered and is sort of an unwieldy bunch of business that sometimes needs unplugging and replugging in due to screen issues.

/anyway/ is there a reason this 27" does not have any apparent compatibility with the mac pro? or, put another way, are there other monitors that are more compatible with the mac pro and don't require this very large and unwieldy conversion?

is there a KVM switch that can simplify things even though i am adding another mac pro to the mix?

from what i see on IO Gear it appears that the connection to the IO Gear device will be a DVI port which means instead of using this belkin device to get from my cinema display to my 2006 mac pro - i will be using it to go from my cinema display to my KVM switch - and then both my mac pros will connect to the KVM using DVI cables.

have i got that right?

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 14, 2014 2:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2014 9:24 PM

What 27" monitor are you using, make and model number would help?

7 replies

Dec 15, 2014 1:54 PM in response to Lanny

hi lanny.

i think i figured this out. the cinema display i have comes with a (rather short) cord that has a mini DP, USB and a magsafe power charger. my mac pro did not come at that time with a mini DP port and just had a DVI port. so basically the powered belkin adapter that i have (which still can't get me much distance between monitor and mac pro) is a mini DP to DVI converter.

can i just ask you a follow up on how i figure out what make and model my monitor is? i am looking in settings but if i want to buy a new display it would be nice to know where this information is and if i can see it without booting up.

THANKS

27" monitor with mac pro (mini DP to DVI?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.