Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

One iTunes library, one computer, multiple user profiles

I am running windows 8.1 and iTunes 12.0.1.26. As the administrator of the laptop, I have no issues accessing the music in the library. However, when another user logs in using their unique Windows profile, they are unable to access any of the content. I have tried several attempts at setting things up (ie: placing the library in a public folder and sharing my profile folder with other users) and point the library to the applicable folder in the preferences but in all instances, we're stuck on the iTunes home screen (displayes options to scan for media or go to the iTunes store). I have searched the forum for possible fixes but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

Acer Aspire E 15-OTHER, Windows 8, Laptop

Posted on Dec 14, 2014 3:24 PM

6 replies

Dec 15, 2014 8:20 AM in response to JonnyCanuck

I would suggest moving the iTunes folder to C:\iTunes (or the root of the drive it is currently on) and shift-starting iTunes to connect to it on the new path. This assumes the library is currently in your iTunes folder at C:\User\<User>\Music\iTunes with the media folder as C:\User\<User>\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media. If you've split the media folder out to another path see Make a split library portable. If you have trouble connecting other users to the library with the shift-start iTunes method see Repair security permissions for iTunes for Windows and grant all users full access to relocated folder.

Note if using fast user switching that iTunes must be shut down in one profile before it can be opened in another. The same library cannot be opened independently from two different profiles at the same time.

tt2

One iTunes library, one computer, multiple user profiles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.