Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite keeps asking for keychain password

Upgraded to Yosemite 10.10.1 on an iMac. Now it keeps asking for a keychain password for many applications.

Example: "Mail want to use the login keychain. Please enter keychain password"

"com.helper.icloud.xpc wants to use keychain. Please enter keychain password"

"Mail wants t use "local items" keychain. Please enter keychain password"

I enter the correct password. It seems to take it and I get no message, BUT a few minutes later, it was ask again. It does this with many apps.

Only started after the upgrade.

Thanks.

iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Dec 14, 2014 2:57 PM

5 replies

Dec 14, 2014 3:11 PM in response to Lil Tippy

Open Keychain Access app and check if there is any problems by using Keychain First Aid:

Mac OS X 10.6: Solving problems with keychains

How to troubleshoot problems which you have listed:

OS X: Keychain Access asks for keychain "login" after changing login password - Apple Support

OS X Mavericks v10.9.1: Repeated prompts to unlock "Local Items" keychain - Apple Support

If you can resolve Keychain Access issue, it might be necessary to start collecting all passwords again:

Resetting your keychain in Mac OS X - Apple Support

Dec 14, 2014 3:12 PM in response to Lil Tippy

Back up all data before proceeding.

Launch the Keychain Access application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Select the login keychain from the list on the left side of the Keychain Access window. If your default keychain has a different name, select that.

If the lock icon in the top left corner of the window shows that the keychain is locked, click to unlock it. You'll be prompted for the keychain password, which is the same as your login password, unless you've changed it.

Right-click or control-click the login entry in the list. From the menu that pops up, select

Change Settings for Keychain "login"

In the sheet that opens, uncheck both boxes, if not already unchecked.

From the menu bar, select

Keychain Access Preferences... First Aid

There are four checkboxes in the window that opens. Check all of them. if they're not already checked. Close the window.

Select

Keychain Access Keychain First Aid

from the menu bar and repair the keychain. Quit Keychain Access.

Dec 19, 2014 4:49 AM in response to Lil Tippy

I am having the same sort of issues since I upgraded to Yosemite. During the setup I opted for using my iCloud password to control the log in for my MacBook Pro. Then the next time I started the computer up, I was asked for five applications to have access to the "Local Items" in my keychain. Changed my iCloud password, no change in the requests. Tried going back to using my original password vice using iCloud, no luck. Changed to using a completing different non iCloud password, still getting the same requests to gain access to the Local Items in my Keychain. I have tried using First Aid, and I get told there are no problems. No clue what do here, checked the settings and I am not setup to get locked out. So anyone else have any recommendations?

Yosemite keeps asking for keychain password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.