You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro with Yosemite don't wakeup from stop status

I have a problem with Sleep Wake on a MacBook pro early 2011 with Yosemite, I was also a beta test user, and had seen the same problem before the official release. After the MacBook goes to sleep, and you try to wake it, the notebook remain with a blank screen

To wakeup I must press the power button for few second and after the pc wakeup from stop situation with the hibernate bar.User uploaded file

I have this problem only with Yosemite, everything is ok with the previous versions of OSx

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 15" middle 2011

Posted on Dec 14, 2014 6:34 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2014 8:03 PM

With the Power Nap feature enabled, the computer enters a so-called standby mode after it has been in sleep on battery power for more than a certain time (one hour, by default.) In that mode, the contents of memory are saved to a file, and then the power is turned off. When the computer wakes up, the contents of memory are restored from the file. As a result, waking from sleep takes longer than it otherwise would. The benefit is that sleep can be prolonged indefinitely without draining the battery or having to restart the computer.

Late-model Macs are configured to enter standby after four hours in sleep while on AC power, in order to comply with a directive of the European Union. That behavior doesn't depend on the status of Power Nap.

You have three choices. One is to do nothing. Use the machine as designed. That's what I recommend.

The second choice is to disable Power Nap in the Energy Saver pane of System Preferences. Uncheck the box marked Enable Power Nap... in each of the tabs. You won't get the wake delay anymore, but you won't get any of the features of Power Nap either. The wake delay while on AC power won't be affected.

The third choice is to increase the delay before standby mode is triggered, or to disable standby mode completely. This is an unsupported option and you're on your own as to the consequences. If you choose to go this route, proceed as below. These instructions are for advanced users only.

Back up all data before making any changes.

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Drag across the line below to select it, then copy it to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

sudo pmset –a standbydelay

Don't copy the blank space at the end of the line.

Launch the Terminal application.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing command-V. Press the space bar, then type the delay you want, in seconds. For example, if you want to change the standby delay from the default one hour to eight hours, enter 28800. Don't put commas or other punctuation marks in the number. To disable standby, enter 0 (zero.)

When the command is complete, press return. You'll be prompted for your login password. Nothing will be displayed when you type it. Type carefully and then press return. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command. After running it, quit Terminal. If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator.

To disable standby on AC power, enter this command:

sudo pmset autopoweroff 0

and to revert to the default state,

sudo pmset autopoweroff 1

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 14, 2014 8:03 PM in response to bravetto

With the Power Nap feature enabled, the computer enters a so-called standby mode after it has been in sleep on battery power for more than a certain time (one hour, by default.) In that mode, the contents of memory are saved to a file, and then the power is turned off. When the computer wakes up, the contents of memory are restored from the file. As a result, waking from sleep takes longer than it otherwise would. The benefit is that sleep can be prolonged indefinitely without draining the battery or having to restart the computer.

Late-model Macs are configured to enter standby after four hours in sleep while on AC power, in order to comply with a directive of the European Union. That behavior doesn't depend on the status of Power Nap.

You have three choices. One is to do nothing. Use the machine as designed. That's what I recommend.

The second choice is to disable Power Nap in the Energy Saver pane of System Preferences. Uncheck the box marked Enable Power Nap... in each of the tabs. You won't get the wake delay anymore, but you won't get any of the features of Power Nap either. The wake delay while on AC power won't be affected.

The third choice is to increase the delay before standby mode is triggered, or to disable standby mode completely. This is an unsupported option and you're on your own as to the consequences. If you choose to go this route, proceed as below. These instructions are for advanced users only.

Back up all data before making any changes.

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Drag across the line below to select it, then copy it to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

sudo pmset –a standbydelay

Don't copy the blank space at the end of the line.

Launch the Terminal application.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing command-V. Press the space bar, then type the delay you want, in seconds. For example, if you want to change the standby delay from the default one hour to eight hours, enter 28800. Don't put commas or other punctuation marks in the number. To disable standby, enter 0 (zero.)

When the command is complete, press return. You'll be prompted for your login password. Nothing will be displayed when you type it. Type carefully and then press return. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command. After running it, quit Terminal. If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator.

To disable standby on AC power, enter this command:

sudo pmset autopoweroff 0

and to revert to the default state,

sudo pmset autopoweroff 1

Dec 15, 2014 5:50 PM in response to Linc Davis

tnx for your help

I think this is not the right way cause the notebook is not slow on wakeup but it's turn into hibernate state when I close the cap

Better when I close the cap the computer go into stop mode (I can see the azure light flash as usual)

when I open the lid, the light stop flash and the screen remain blank.

So I push for 5 second the power button and the computer restart with the hibernate bar (that I posted on my first post).

any help?

Dec 15, 2014 6:57 PM in response to bravetto

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider. You may have to leave the machine there for several days.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Feb 19, 2015 8:26 PM in response to bravetto

hi, i also have the same problem that really annoying. i found this issue since i bought a macbook pro 15 early 2011 from my uncle few months ago. he said that the problem started since day one. i upset why didn't he report to the apple store in a first place, he said that the problem didn't bother him. so i started searching for a solution on the internet. i can't even remember how many times I've tried every single solution i found, and I'm sure i I've tried them all, but the problem still persist. but, few days ago i tried logging in with a guest user and put my macbook to sleep for a night and what happened just really surprised me, the mac woke up PERFECTLY, the thing that never happened to me since i bought my uncle's mac. and i wonder what the **** was happening on my main user login and i realised that the guest user doesn't need a password when it wakes from sleep, so i tried to back to my main user login, and disabled the password when log in then put it to sleep overnight, and voila my mac woke up perfectly! tried a few times and the screen freezes when waking up problem never happened since.

did you enable password on your system?

if so, try disabling your password and see what happen.

maybe its not a solution to everyone though, but at least you will know if your mac hardware is doing fine.

thanks

MacBook Pro with Yosemite don't wakeup from stop status

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.