Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Maps stopped working. How can I fix it?

I'm running Yosemite Version 10.10.1 on an iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011), Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3. Maps has stopped working. It launches, then then displays a grid with a pin in it, and a spinning beach ball. It responds to nothing. I have force quit it numerous times, I restarted the computer several times, I downloaded and reinstalled Yosemite, and I shut down the computer overnight. I also trashed the p-list. I really like this program. How can I make it work again?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 14, 2014 9:48 PM

4 replies

Dec 14, 2014 10:28 PM in response to Ashbery

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES ▹ All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View ▹ Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then launch Maps. Select any messages that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of which is irrelevant to solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name or email address, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Dec 14, 2014 10:43 PM in response to Linc Davis

Here is the information you requested:

12/15/14 12:38:46.531 AM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent) The _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit key is not available on this platform.

12/15/14 12:38:47.000 AM kernel[0]: Sandbox: storeuid(1056) deny mach-lookup com.apple.dock.server

12/15/14 12:38:47.963 AM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent) The _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit key is not available on this platform.

12/15/14 12:38:48.101 AM com.apple.iCloudHelper[1499]: objc[1499]: Class FALogging is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FamilyCircle.framework/Versions/A/FamilyCircl e and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FamilyNotification.framework/Versions/A/Famil yNotification. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

12/15/14 12:38:48.109 AM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent) The _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit key is not available on this platform.

12/15/14 12:38:49.000 AM kernel[0]: Sandbox: Maps(1496) deny mach-lookup com.apple.CrashReporterSupportHelper

12/15/14 12:38:49.296 AM Maps[1496]: Connection error while checking Apple Internalness. Error: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4099 "Couldn’t communicate with a helper application." (The connection to service named com.apple.CrashReporterSupportHelper was invalidated.) UserInfo=0x618000277780 {NSDebugDescription=The connection to service named com.apple.CrashReporterSupportHelper was invalidated.}

12/15/14 12:38:50.242 AM Maps[1496]: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=260 "RunTimeThemeRefForBundleIdentifierAndName() couldn't find NVSideViewAppearance.car in bundle with identifier: com.apple.Maps" UserInfo=0x608000279c40 {NSLocalizedDescription=RunTimeThemeRefForBundleIdentifierAndName() couldn't find NVSideViewAppearance.car in bundle with identifier: com.apple.Maps}

12/15/14 12:38:51.291 AM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.CoreLocationAgent[1500]) Endpoint has been activated through legacy launch(3) APIs. Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in(): com.apple.CoreLocation.agent

12/15/14 12:38:51.564 AM locationd[58]: Location icon should now be in state 'Active'

12/15/14 12:39:46.584 AM iTunes[1103]: ### PlayQueue::StartPlayingNextInternal: played off the end of the queue

12/15/14 12:40:25.000 AM kernel[0]: process Maps[1496] thread 433136 caught burning CPU!; EXC_RESOURCE supressed due to audio playback

Dec 14, 2014 10:56 PM in response to Ashbery

Back up all data before proceeding.

Step 1

From the menu bar, select

 ▹ System Preferences... ▹ Date & TimeTime Zone

Check the box marked

Set time zone automatically using current location

if it's not already checked. If the box is checked, uncheck it and then check it again. Test.

If the correct location and time zone aren't shown in the preference pane, then either Wi-Fi is turned off, or you're not within range of a network in the Location Services database. Under those conditions, the computer can't determine your location.

Credit for this idea to ASC member Easyas314.

Step 2

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Maps

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services Reveal in Finder

from the contextual menu.* A Finder window should open with a folder named "com.apple.Maps" selected. Quit the application if it's running. Move the folder to the Desktop, leaving the window open. Relaunch the application and test. If there's no change, quit again and put the item you moved back where it was, overwriting the one that may have been created in its place. Otherwise, delete the folder you moved. The list of recent places displayed in Maps will be lost.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Maps stopped working. How can I fix it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.