Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

speak auto text talking too fast

When using the speak auto-text feature the speaking rate for the voice is stuck on fast setting....even if I have it set to the lowest possible setting. I am using a brand new iPhone 6 plus and it was also happening on my older iPhone 4. Siri talks just fine, but if typing something and the auto correct feature kicks in, the Siri voice blurts out the word like on fast forward. I have gone into settings>general>accessibility>speech and use the slider bar to go to a lower setting and no matter what it's set to it doesn't change anything. Tried force closing the iPhone and nothing seems to work to slow down the speech.

And it's not just on my phone. The exact same problem on my girlfriend's phone as well. She also has the iPhone 6 plus 128gb.

I try the different languages and the slider bar to control the speed works just fine in every language except for English. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

User uploaded file

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Dec 15, 2014 2:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2017 4:51 PM

I found the answer.

1. Go in to General>Accessibility>VoiceOver>Speaking rate

Previous responses said to go to General>Accessibility>Speech which also changes speaking rate but this does not change it in the VoiceOver application.

11 replies

Jan 8, 2015 11:19 PM in response to kaaka

We tried that and it didn't change anything. Even the voice didn't change. So I just now tried installing the Alex voice and it doesn't change anything either. It was still the exact same voice. You would think the Alex voice would be a guys voice but it was still the same fast talking Siri voice. So I tried powering down the phone by holding down the home button and power button until the Apple logo shows up and wait for it to reset. Still no success. Alex still sounds like the broken Siri voice. Tried some of the other English language voices like UK and south Africa and still no success. I have spoken with 2 different Apple technicians on the phone and they keep referring it to another department higher up the food chain. It's been a couple weeks now and I don't think they are going to call me back.

So it's doing this on my iPhone 6 plus and my girlfriend's iPhone 6 plus and just out of curiosity I checked to see if it was doing it on our iPad mini 2 and sure enough it was. I don't even use the feature but my girlfriend insists on using it on her devices and it always scares the crap out of me when Siri screams out gibberish when trying to autocorrect a word. There's no volume control for Siri so whenever we're in a nice quiet setting and out of nowhere this screaming voice on fast forward blurts out......"Capital I.....Capital, Capital, Capital I. She usually stutters the word a couple times and it can really make a person jump when this happens.

I guess I'll have to call Apple back about this.

speak auto text talking too fast

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.