Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV2: Airplay no longer working

I've had no issues with airplay, but admittedly have not used it recently, the last time was probably sometime during iOS7.1.2 I find that tonight I am unable to airplay from my iphone5s, iPad Mini on iOS8.0.2, or my 3GSphone on iOS6.1.3. On the iPad Mini, the airplay button does not even display. it does display on both phones, but all apps trying to airplay crash back to Springboard. I've given up for now, but its eminently frustrating and is causing me to look further afield for a streaming solution.

Has anybody else had this issue and found a way around it?

AppleTV 2, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Dec 15, 2014 5:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2014 8:12 AM

Try the following steps, check whether things are working after each step where appropriate, before trying the next.

1. Check AirPlay is turned on on the Apple TV (turn it off and on if it already is)
  2. Check that both devices are on the same network (Settings > Wifi, on the mobile device and Settings > General > Network, on the Apple TV).
  3. Restart the Apple TV (Settings > General > Restart).
  4. Restart the Apple TV by removing ALL the cables for 30 seconds.
  5. Restart your router. (Also try removing it’s power cord for at least 30 seconds)
  6. Restart your mobile device.

If you are still having problems, the following article(s) may help you.

Troubleshooting AirPlay

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Recommended Wi-Fi settings

Wifi Diagnostic Software (for Mac users)

You may also find some help on this page, where I’ve collected some of the more unusual solutions to network issues.

When making adjustments to your network for better optimisation, you may find some of the points mentioned on this page helpful.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2014 8:12 AM in response to kyte

Try the following steps, check whether things are working after each step where appropriate, before trying the next.

1. Check AirPlay is turned on on the Apple TV (turn it off and on if it already is)
  2. Check that both devices are on the same network (Settings > Wifi, on the mobile device and Settings > General > Network, on the Apple TV).
  3. Restart the Apple TV (Settings > General > Restart).
  4. Restart the Apple TV by removing ALL the cables for 30 seconds.
  5. Restart your router. (Also try removing it’s power cord for at least 30 seconds)
  6. Restart your mobile device.

If you are still having problems, the following article(s) may help you.

Troubleshooting AirPlay

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Recommended Wi-Fi settings

Wifi Diagnostic Software (for Mac users)

You may also find some help on this page, where I’ve collected some of the more unusual solutions to network issues.

When making adjustments to your network for better optimisation, you may find some of the points mentioned on this page helpful.

Dec 21, 2014 2:16 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Nope. This isn't fixing it. There is something about iOS8 and Airplay that it no longer works reliably. This is a real downer for me because I only own Apple TVs (3ea.) to play music from iTunes. I'm just about done with Apple in regard to this. They need to fix it and soon. I will discontinue iMatch and no longer buy music from iTunes. Back to CDs and vinyl.

Jan 29, 2015 11:18 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Apple just pushed new software to ALL devices; Apple TVs, and iPhone/ iPads. I installed on every device. Seems to have cleared the problems they created last year. Time will tell if this really fixes it. I'm going to be REAL hesitant to perform future updates for fear of them screwing it up again. Took long enough for one of the wealthiest companies on the planet to appease their distressed customers. One of the biggest problems I have with this is there were no appologies or acknowledgment of their causing the problem. It wasn't even a bullet in the notes regarding the update.

Jan 30, 2015 11:21 AM in response to mmmic

Apple TV still dropping airplay consistently no matter what you do.

I have had this problem for over a year. Doesn't happen on Airport Express streaming, only Apple TV. Error on iTunes says network connection refused. This i san Apple issue, not your setup.

This is occurring with the most recent push out of updates that has not fixed a thing with airplay.

Jan 30, 2015 10:01 PM in response to topperdog

Ah yes. You're right. Nothing has changed after all. All the restarts must have temporarily cleared the problems. Tonight the problems are all back. My iPad can't see two of my three Apple TVs. The one that it does see I had to manually wake up with the little silver remote that came with it. It's so bizarre. I never have connection issues with my wifi thermostat, nor my Denon receiver. But I can't get my iPad to reliably communicate with the Apple TVs. Oh well...

Feb 6, 2015 11:35 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Perhaps you're right, Winston. I'm going to research my network a bit. I'm not one to give up easily. As a test, I've already tried temporarily eliminating my two access points, relying solely on the Netgear router to see if problems abated. No Change in poor performance. Next I discovered a wealth of stuff regarding port settings for Apple devices. No improvements there either. Same behavior. it would be interesting to know if you're network is simple (one router for your whole dwelling) or if you've got a large volume to broadcast over.

As another test, I ran out to my car and grabbed my old iPod and brought into the house, version 6.1.6. AirPlay worked just like I remembered in the good old days. Like a champ. No drama.

One must admit Apple has some ownership in this issue. There are hundreds of thousands of hits on support boards for Apple AirPlay/mirroring issues since IOS8 arrived.

Feb 7, 2015 5:36 PM in response to mmmic

mmmic wrote:

One must admit Apple has some ownership in this issue. There are hundreds of thousands of hits on support boards for Apple AirPlay/mirroring issues since IOS8 arrived.

I suspect that Apple set higher targets for network conditions, I guess it depends on which side if the 'how things are experienced' fence you sit on, as to whether this is good or bad.

There are a lot of people reporting issues here, but then again that's what this community is for, to report problems.

AppleTV2: Airplay no longer working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.