Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera not working after iOS 8.1.2 update

Just updated to iOS 8.1.2 on an iPhone 5. The camera app now just freezes and crashes. No other camera app works either. I've tried restarting, and full power down and starting to no avail. Just seeing a black screen instead of the viewfinder. This is the same in all camera apps - black viewfinder.

Posted on Dec 15, 2014 6:09 AM

26 replies

Dec 16, 2014 11:29 AM in response to Nathan Jones2

Hello Nathan,

After reviewing your post, I have located an article that can help with your iPhone's camera. It contains a number of troubleshooting steps and helpful advice for the issue you are experiencing:

Get help with the camera on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

You see a closed lens or black screen

If you see a closed lens or black screen when you open the Camera app, try these steps:

1. Make sure that there’s nothing blocking the camera lens. If you’re using a case, try removing it.
  2. Force the app to close, then open the Camera app again.
  3. Restart your device, then open the Camera app again.
  4. If your device has a front and rear camera, try both cameras by tapping User uploaded file (camera swap icon). If you see the closed lens or black screen on only one camera, take your device to an Apple Retail Store or Authorized Service Provider for more help.

Thank you for contributing to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

BobbyD

Dec 16, 2014 4:33 PM in response to bobby_d

Hi Bobby_d,

I should have mentioned I also did a full restore. iTunes wouldn't allow going back to 8.1.1 (the lack of downgradability a common complaint of iOS8). I tried with and without restoring the backup. It markedly happened on the 8.1.2 update. The front (selfie) camera sort of works… some the other apps have now defaulted to using this (which is useless), but the main camera still shows black. I'm not aware that an Apple store can or will downgrade the iOS to a working version?

Dec 28, 2014 12:35 AM in response to Nathan Jones2

Actually, No it was never possible to ever downgrade any IOS. Pre IOS 8 or IOS 6. As Roshanalex mentioned millions upon millions of ppl are using the new IOS with no issues you are describing. So there for we have to look at your update itself or the device itself. I would delete the .ipsw file and update again too be honest. That sounds like the major fact in this puzzle.

Dec 29, 2014 4:45 PM in response to Rueacious

It has been possible to downgrade the iOS prior to iOS8 - for a short time at least (I have done this). However, this is an off topic issue.

I deleted and reinstalled the software several times as previously mentioned. I'm not sure that repeated downloads would incur the same 'corruption' mentioned.

Possible troubleshooting of the exact issue and cause:

For anyone who has this issue - camera and flash/torch not working, the issue appears to be hardware related, and nothing to do with software as suggested above. It is extremely difficult to research the issue on this new Apple Discussion forum due to it's shonkiness, but there are posts suggesting to 'squeeze' the phone - at the camera area. This does in fact make the camera function for a short time (I assume loose connections behind the camera), but ultimately the camera fails again. There are also scary stories of Apple charging nearly $300 (I can't find a UK price for this) for some kind of repair, or refurb replacement possibly.

As far as I'm concerned, the camera has simply stopped working for no apparent reason during the iOS upgrade, but there is definitely a mechanical factor here, and is reported by others.

I will attempt to make a reservation with an Apple Store and will report back later with an update.

Camera not working after iOS 8.1.2 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.