Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Adobe CS5.5 Work on Yosemite?

I was wondering if anybody who has downloaded the Yosemite update and uses CS5.5 software, if your software was able to work? I really need to know because I got the CS5.5 creative suite (at the student price and version) when I was a student in college, but I had received a faulty disc that didn't work so both times I've had to install it by calling Adobe Tech Support (since my Macbook Pro Graphics card went out, thus replaced it with my current Macbook Air, Mid 2011) via a download code they sent me both times.

I am an artist and have a degree in Graphic Design, so having my Adobe programs work is very important to me! It's also my only source of income at the moment via art commissions.

These are the Programs I need to know about

*Flash CS5.5

*Ilustrator CS5.1

*InDesign CS5.5

*Photoshop CS5.1

My current setup is OS X 10.7.5 Lion and everything works fine. I refuse to upgrade my Mac unless I know my programs will work or until Yosemite fixes the glitches with the Adobe programs (according to reviews I've read.. most negative 😟 thus I'm really scared to upgrade).

Please help!

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 15, 2014 8:44 AM

7 replies

Dec 15, 2014 12:34 PM in response to Chelseafromoh

Application Compatibility

Applications Compatibility (2)

One option is to create a new partition (~30- 50 GB), install the new OS, and ‘test drive’ it. If you like/don’t like it it, you can then remove the partition. Do a backup before you do anything. By doing this, if you don’t like it you won't have to go though the revert process.

Dec 15, 2014 1:55 PM in response to Eric Root

What exactly is a partition? And do you know if there is a way to backup these programs, like onto a disc? (Since as I said earlier I only got these programs via a download code online from Tech Support almost 3 years ago).

Well thank you for linking me to that compatibility thing! And so far I found..

*Flash CS5.5 - Nothing yet

*Ilustrator CS5.1 - Data Conflicting

*InDesign CS5.5 - Nothing yet

*Photoshop CS5.1 - Says it's fine, but I've seen a lot of conflicting reviews online (and in that site) that says otherwise 😟

Dec 15, 2014 3:57 PM in response to Chelseafromoh

A partition is part of the space on a hard drive. Using Disk Utility on an empty drive you can, during the formatting operation, set up two or more partitions. Each partition will appear on your desktop as a separate drive and can be used as such. You can save to each, open files in each, eject each, mount each, as though each was a separate physical drive. Partitions are a tidy way to keep files separate from others not related to them: such as the installation of a complete operating system; backups of your current system; files etc.

I'm not sure but I don't think that complex applications like Adobe's can be backed up as stand-alone applications. This is probably because when they are installed the installation involves putting code into the bowels of the Operating System, and making a copy of the application would not copy that code. Obviously, Adobe make sure that their software cannot be copied simply, for obvious reasons.

I think (only think) from an experience a few years ago that Adobe keep a record of a person's purchases and subsequent upgrades of their software, and you might be able to contact Adobe (their Chat line worked well for me a year ago when I upgraded from Photoshop and Indesign CS5.5 to CS6) and on giving them details they might allow you to re-download their application and give you an activation code.

When I upgraded to Yosemite yesterday I simply ran Apple's installer obtained from the App Store. This installed Yosemite without interfering with any documents, application, utilities, music, images, emails etc. so I was able to use my iMac right away as normal. I have successfully upgraded the OS like this from Lion to M. Lion, to Mavericks, to Yosemite, relying on the OS installation not corrupting any of these files. Worked so far.

More generally you might like to consider getting a backup utility like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper. Using CCC my iMac does a full cloned bootable backup of my whole system at 4 am every day on to a USB 2 external hard drive. If I get corruption (very rare) I can just boot up (restart) on the CCC clone as the Startup disc (see System Preferences) and get back to 4 am in about 10 minutes, or use CCC to clone the backup clone on to the internal hard drive in about 20 minutes.

Good luck.

Dec 16, 2014 3:14 AM in response to Chelseafromoh

I paid for it. £112.34 I contacted Adobe (I can't remember the details of how). They had info that told them that I owned CS 5.5, and gave me (after payment) an installation code to allow the trial version that I had already downloaded to work. The reason why thay had info on me was from an earlier upgrade that I had done. (I'm a bit hazy now about those details.) Try their chat system. I found it helpful. They tried to convince me to to move to the Cloud but that is far too expensive for me. I don't have customers to unload cost on to. If and when the Adobe software becomes unusable on future Mac Op. Systems I will need to try another software, but that could be several years away.

Carbon Copy Cloner is at:

http://bombich.com

I have used it for many years. Very reliable. It is now at Version 4.0 £26 I regularly do what they call:

Smart Updates

This update only the files that have been added or modified, and is bootable.

Of course you need an external drive (or a network or perhaps the Cloud but I don't know about these). But avoid Firewire drives. They no longer sleep when you sleep the Mac (OS Mavericks and Yosemite) and Apple refuses even to acknowledge the problem. USB drives are OK.

Nov 26, 2015 11:23 PM in response to Chelseafromoh

SteveKir, why wouldn't you just do a back up using Time Machine on an external hard drive? That's what I was going to do ...

I've come to this post to find out whether to upgrade my OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard?) as I'm in the same predicament as Chelseafromoh. I want my CS5.5 Suite to be able to work on a later OS for a while until it's worth my while financially to upgrade to the latest Creative Cloud system. On Adobe's site, they say that CS5.5 doesn't work on any later OS's. A good way to make people think that they have to upgrade to the latest ... Good one Adobe!!! A friend said that she's on Yosemite and her CS5 is working. Go figure ... I just want to be totally sure.

Did you end up finding out whether you could upgrade Chelseafromoh?

Will Adobe CS5.5 Work on Yosemite?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.