Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad apps stuck updating

can anybody help Me? My apps seem to be stuck updating.

it seems to be quite a common issue, but it's really frustrating. i have a list of apps that need updating, but when I click update it just spins and never actually updates. I've searched and proposed fixes like switching off wifi and hard resets don't work. I have fully reset the iPad before now and restored it to factory and then reloaded each app from iTunes, but it takes forever and it really should be simpler than that. Any ideas?

iPad, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Dec 15, 2014 10:36 AM

4 replies

Dec 16, 2014 12:48 PM in response to Alph05

Hello Alph05,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

To troubleshoot this issue where you're unable to download apps from the App Store please follow the troubleshooting outlined below for connecting to the iTunes Store.

Troubleshoot issues on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you haven't been able to connect to the iTunes Store:

• Make sure your date, time, and time zone are correct in Settings > General > Date & Time.
    Note: Time Zone may list another city in your time zone.
  • Make sure that your iOS software is up to date by tapping Settings > General > Software Update(iOS 5 or later) or connecting your iOS device to iTunes and clicking
    Check for Update
    on your device's Summary page.
  • Check and verify that you're in range of a Wi-Fi router or base station. If you're on a device with cellular service, make sure that cellular data is turned on from Settings > General > Cellular.
    Note: If connected to cellular data, larger items may not download. You may need to connect to Wi-Fi to download apps, videos, and podcasts.
  • Make sure that you have an active Internet connection. You can check the user guide for your device for help with connecting to the Internet.
  • Make sure that other devices (portable computers, for example) are able to connect to the Wi-Fi network and access the Internet.
  • Try resetting (turning off and then on again) your Wi-Fi router.
  • If the issue persists, try troubleshooting your Wi-Fi networks and connections.

Can't connect to the iTunes Store - Apple Support

Cheers,

Alex H.

Dec 16, 2014 1:25 PM in response to chuck_3rd

Alex,

thanks for for the reply. Unfortunately you may have misunderstood my problem.

The problem actually is that apps that I have already downloaded won't update. The App Store shows that various apps need updating, but when I try to update them the update circle spins none stop, and they never actually update. I have very strong wifi, I can browse on safari etc, but the apps seem stuck. This does appear to be quite a widespread problem.

to try to resolve the issue I had reset things like the wifi, the iPad settings etc, but nothing seems to work. When I mentioned it in work today, three other people. Said they had the same issue. So we tried to resolve it and had some success.

basically we took one iPad and reset the settings. We then turned off the wifi and hard reset the iPad. After a couple of minutes we then turned back on the iPad and turned the wifi back on. At this point we logged into the App Store and then started to delete apps from the iPad one by one. After we deleted an app we tried to update one of the stuck ones through the App Store. After doing this for a little while, ie. Delete one app at a time and then retrying the update of a stuck one,it seemed to correct the problem and the apps which had been stuck on update actually updated.

we came to the conclusion that it must have been one of the apps causing a conflict which then locks the update process. We then tried the same approach for my stuck iPad and it worked again. The big problem with this method though is that I couldn't tell you which app caused the jam or why. On my iPad it was Google maps which once deleted seemed to unlock the update process, on the other iPad it was boom beach. It seemed very random. Also in deleting each app you lose the data. It was the only way we could fix the problem, but it was time consuming and only time will tell if it's a long term solution.

to put this into context my iPad had effectively stopped updating since nov, but my colleagues were stuck from April and July. At Least we all seem to be ok now, but as mentioned time will tell.

Dec 22, 2014 5:29 AM in response to Alph05

I saw a similar problem after updateing to ios 8.1.2. Some apps, such as google maps, wouldn't update. What I discovered was that if a previous update had been applied (and the blue dot appeared by the app's icon), then a new version of the app wouldn't install. All I did was fire up google maps, then go back to the app store. This time, the update went right through.

iPad apps stuck updating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.