Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost sound on Mac mini (Late 2012) Yosemite 10.10.1

Hello everybody,

I lost the sound on my Mac mini. It was working just fine a few days ago. (I tried restoring it to an earlier date but no joy). I tried the troubleshooting mentioned here Troubleshooting issues with no audio from built-in speakers on Macs - Apple Support to no avail. I tried connecting external speakers (which worked in the past) but nothing. They don't show on the Audio/Output screen.

I can see the Audio icon on my screen. I can increase and decrease volume from my keyboard (through F11/F12). But no sound. I have reset the PRAM, reset the SMC (by unplugin/plugin power cord). Pretty much runnig out of options. Any advice will be welcome. Thanks.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 15, 2014 4:25 PM

15 replies

Mar 10, 2017 11:57 PM in response to Kirk Carver

5 minute fix >>

PROBLEM AREA FOUND - thanks to lukefrombrno on another Apple support thread.

He found that the problem lies in the MIDI default settings.

Since I've never launched or touched this App I gave it a go and it fixed the issue in minutes.

Sound returned every time after numerous reboots as well.

1) Spotlight search for the App - Audio MIDI Setup - Launch the App

2) Change the default Format settings to 2 ch / 16 bit / 44.1Mhz for all your devices on the Left

User uploaded file

3) Once all are set the same, close the App. Tap your volume ctrl and the click click click should be

music to your ears ( It certainly was to mine after months of silence )

OK APPLE - GET TO WORK PATCHING IN 10.12.4 !!!!

Dec 15, 2014 5:29 PM in response to Marvest

There are many possible causes for this issue. Take each of the following steps that you haven't already tried. Some may not apply to your model. Back up all data before making any changes.

1. Start with the steps recommended in this support article. Don't skip any of the steps. It's the starting point for further efforts to solve the problem.

2. Make sure you have a fully up-to-date installation of OS X.

3. If you've installed an application called "Memory Clean" or any other third-party software that is supposed to "clean" or "purge" memory automatically, remove it according to the developer's instructions and restart. You should do that even if the software is not causing the problem, because it's useless.

4. Other third-party software that has been reported to interfere with sound output includes "Boom" and "Samsung Kies." If applicable, uninstall according to the developer's instructions (not by dragging something to the Trash.)

5. If an AirPlay device is selected for sound output from iTunes (or from other applications via third-party software such as "Airfoil"), deselect it.

6. Launch the application "Audio MIDI Setup" by entering the first few letters of its name in a Spotlight search and selecting it in the results (it should be at the top.) Select Built-in Output from the list on the left. If the Mute boxes are checked, uncheck them.

7. If a red light is visible in the audio-out port when sound should be playing, the internal switch is stuck in the position for digital output. You may be able to free it by inserting and removing a mini-stereo jack of the proper size. Inserting any kind of tool in the port may cause damage that won't be covered by the warranty.

If there's no red light, the switch may still be stuck in the headphone position. Try to free it the same way.

8. Disconnect all wired peripherals except keyboard and mouse, if applicable. If more than one display is connected, disconnect all extra ones. Restart and test.

9. If you have a MacBook Air, turn off Bluetooth and restart.

10. Start up in safe mode. Don't log in; just restart as usual when the login screen appears. When you do, make sure the words "Safe Boot" do not appear in the login screen. If they do, the system is still in safe mode and sound won't work.

11. Reset the NVRAM.

12. Reset the SMC.

13. Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/Preferences/Audio

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Move the selected item to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator login password. Restart the computer and empty the Trash. Recreate your settings in the Sound preference pane.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

14. Reinstall OS X after backing up all data.

15. Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store.

Dec 16, 2014 10:10 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you for your prompt reply. Much appreciated. I went through the list up to 14 and still no joy. I chatted with support as well and they recommended Safe Mode and to create another user account. Still no sound. What I finally did is to hook up my Mac mini to my Dell monitor U2413 using the DisplayPort instead of HDMI. I plugged my speakers to the audio out port of the monitor and selected it on my Mac Sound/Output. Not ideal solution but workable until I can take my Mac mini to the Apple Store. I still wonder why this problem arises. Why is the audio port so vulnerable?

Dec 16, 2014 10:16 AM in response to Marvest

Marvest wrote:

What I finally did is to hook up my Mac mini to my Dell monitor U2413 using the DisplayPort instead of HDMI. I plugged my speakers to the audio out port of the monitor and selected it on my Mac Sound/Output. Not ideal solution but workable until I can take my Mac mini to the Apple Store. I still wonder why this problem arises. Why is the audio port so vulnerable?

If the audio port is providing audio (as you say) to your monitor exactly how is it vulnerable?

Dec 16, 2014 10:46 AM in response to Marvest

I am surprised that one port can supply voltage to a TV input but not to a pair of headphones, the requirements are vey similar (>20K load impedance similar drive voltages). None of which has anything to do with the HDMI audio either. Something is not working correctly, can you do any audio testing? (a multimeter and a cable to connect it to the audio port is needed)?

Dec 16, 2014 11:09 AM in response to Csound1

I don't have a multimeter unfortunately. Just to be clear. My Mac mini is connected to the monitor through the DisplayPort. I'm not using the audio port itself to connect to the monitor. But I can see the monitor displayed on Sound/Output and I can select it (see photo). Which is not the case when I connect the speakers directly to the audio port. The speakers don't show on Sound/Output.

User uploaded file

Dec 16, 2014 1:08 PM in response to Marvest

Just wanted to clarify that I run the Apple Hardware Test. At the beginning it showed "testing memory" and then just "testing in progress". So I assumed it was just testing the memory. But according to the description it tests "computer's hardware components". So I guess it tests everything. By the way the result of the test was "no trouble found".

Dec 1, 2016 5:55 PM in response to Marvest

I effectively had the same issue. It presented itself as the inability of the audio output headphone jack to create any sound (although if a headphone with a mute/volume button was attached, it would slide the volume up/down).

I went through ALL of the following troubleshooting steps:

Nothing worked. Then I came across this post.

Internal Speakers not working after MAC os Sierra upgrade.

So what the heck, I tried pulling out the HDMI... sound came on in the Internal Speaker (very low volume, but it worked). I plugged headphones in, and they worked. I then reset to play audio output to the monitor speakers via the HDMI and alerts to the Internal Speakers. All good.

Looks like Apple has a bug they need to address. This ate up about half my day, and not 100% convinced the fix isn't transient. I'll keep my ears open for issues and see if upgrading my other, Mac Mini exhibits similar issues.

Kirk

(for reference, this was on a Mac Mini Server hardware (no longer running server software) Mid 2010, Sierra 10.12.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.