Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has Google Mail stopped support for Apple Mail on OS X 10.5.8 Leopard?

My Mom has an old 800 MHz eMac running OS X 10.5.8 and she can no longer access her Gmail account.

Her last email was from July 2014.

Did Google discontinue supoort for OS X Leopard and older Apple Mail App?

Does anyone know this or can confirm this?

Are there any other older email clients available that still run under OS X 10.5.8 that can still access Gmail over iMAP?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 27in 3.06 GHz CPU, 1TB, 16 GB RAM

Posted on Dec 15, 2014 6:15 PM

24 replies

Dec 15, 2014 8:22 PM in response to BDAqua

She can do neither.

In Apple Mail under the inbox and to the immediate right of the Inbox there is a warning triangle saying that there is something wrong with either the Internet connection or mail server connection.

I am not sure what is happening as I was not directly there to see the exact message that Mail posted.

Her Internet connection is fine as her web browsers are all working and displaying content and her iPad is working fine.

She needs to access an email from Gmail through Apple Mail, this was working last time I did some stuff on her eMac and had been fine for years without issue, on her eMac to be able to print something out on an older HP printer that is impossible to print at all from her iPad.

Dec 18, 2014 1:03 PM in response to MichelPM

I have exactly the same problem with my dad's old iBook running 10.5.8.

Since late June 2014 he is unable to use Mail app to log into his Gmail account whether it be IMAP, SMTP or POP.

None are accepting his gmail password. I've tried setting up a new account. And just tried the tip above. Unfortunately it didn't work. Is there something in the older Mail app that no longer plays nicely with Gmail?

Any ideas? Should he switch clients? Is there still a working mail client for PowerPC...?

Dec 18, 2014 1:33 PM in response to belfastpb

Gmail still working here in 10.4.1 &10.2.5, PPC G4s/G5.

Can you log into their WebMail using the same Nam. &e PW?

SeaMonkey seems pretty fast also, with many option, like a Mail client & Web page builder...

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/

The last version with Mac OS 10.4 and PPC support was SeaMonkey 2.0.14.

The last version seamonkey-for-ppc - 2.26 RELEASE - Mac OS X 10.5.x - PPC.

http://code.google.com/p/seamonkey-ppc/

PROJECT SITE:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/seamonkey-for-ppc

register for updates at the SourceForge seamonkey-for-ppc project page

https://sourceforge.net/projects/seamonkey-for-ppc

Dec 19, 2014 11:58 AM in response to BDAqua

Yes - I can use Safari to access Gmail via the web - no problem. I also tried using TenFourBird as a Firefox email client. Similar authentication issue....

But if it's working on your PowerPC 10.5.8 then the problem is likely to be specific to this iBook rather than a general problem with Gmail.

Will try with Sea Monkey - thanks for the suggestion BDAqua! Fingers crossed

Dec 20, 2014 11:18 AM in response to belfastpb

My gMail settings in 10.5.8 PPC & 10.6 to 10.10 Intel...

Email address: you@gmail.com

Incoming Mail Server: imap.gmail.com

Port 993 SSL

Outgoing: smtp.gmail.com

Use default ports I25, 465, 587)

Authentication: Password

In gMail Webmail you must check prefs to allow IMAP insteaad of POP.

Gmail send but not receive...

Here are two steps that have come in handy in related situations

1) login to gmail on your computer or device via a web browser

2) once logged in successfully, go to this URL to unlock:

https://www.google.com/accounts/DisplayUnlockCaptch

The Password rejection can confuse people since it's a catch all meaning...

This Password, Username, Authentication method... is not recognized on this Port to this Server, or a server end problem.

Or duplicate entries in Keychain Access.

If using a browser to login via WebMail works it's not Name or Password, but one of the other ones.

The receiving email ports are:

IMAP is port 143

IMAP-SSL is port 993

POP is port 110

POP-SSL is port 995

Outgoing ports are...

SMTP and SMTP-SSL is on ports 25, 587 and 465. Port 587 has to be SSL, and port 465 is enforced TLS-wrapped and is generally used by Outlook users.

Dec 20, 2014 8:32 PM in response to BDAqua

Well BD,

My Mom's eMac has both an admin account for me to use and access the computer to actually be able to troubleshoot and make changes as needed.

I have my own GMail account being accessed through Apple Mail on OS X 10.5.8 Leopard. My account works fine, but it is only working as a POP mail account.

I cannot get Apple Mail to work with IMAP on the eMac and Apple Mail.

My iPad accesses GMail by IMAP just fine, also, even though my Apple Mail GMail account is accessing GMail through POP Mail.

If I switch to my Mom's user account on the eMac, none of your suggestions or trying other things like deleting and recreating the account work.

Gmail through Apple Mail on 10.5.8 is NOT accepting her GMail password.

Her password works fine on the iPad and when I access her GMail account from a web browser, but fails to work at all in Apple Mail in 10.5.8.

It doesnt matter whether I use POP mail or IMAP mail protocols.

Another issues she has is if I change the mail protocol in GMail, then her iPad 2 won't send or receive mail and pops up a message that GMail needs to be switched to IMAP.

I don't have such an issues with using POP with Apple Mail on the eMac and using iMAP on my IPad. I still get my mail from both the eMac, my home IMac and my iPad 3.

I am stumped at this point and am having her, now, just access GMail from TenFourFox web browser.

Can't understand why my GMail POP account works on the eMac on 10.5.8 (despite the IMAP doesn't work issue)and my Mom's account doesn't.

Dec 21, 2014 12:44 PM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua wrote:

Hmmm, indeed strange... Did you check both the System Keychain & Login Keychain for multiple entries for gMail?

Yup,

There were multiple keychain password logs in both keychain areas and I cleared them all out (a half dozen duplicates in each I don't know how that happened, at all) figuring this should fix this Mail issue.

No change.

Tis a stumper, this one.

Has Google Mail stopped support for Apple Mail on OS X 10.5.8 Leopard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.