Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remove WiFi networks from the WiFi drop down list OS X?

I have a long list of choices for WiFi network connections that I want to delete permanently. How do I do that?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 15, 2014 6:03 PM

7 replies

Dec 15, 2014 6:11 PM in response to KiltedTim

Regardless of where I am, Xfinity always shows up on my list. Sometimes it automatically jumps off of my network at home and goes to Xfinity. Xfinity is advertising it's service and requests me to join. Maybe it's doing one of those annoying advertising "redirects" and I have to take it to a genius bar to remove.

Dec 15, 2014 6:25 PM in response to ntbcac

Your Mac will not "jump" to that network unless you previously joined it.

Assuming you did, go to System Preferences>Network.

Click the Advanced button. On the WiFi tab, locate the network and click the "-" sign to remove it from your preferred networks. The only way to remove it from the list of available networks is to stay out of range of it.

Feb 9, 2016 3:51 AM in response to ZWW27

If you created the guest network, then you can get rid of it by changing the settings on your router to eliminate it. As has already been explained, the list you're looking at is a list of networks that are visible. You can't make networks on that list go away any more than you can make your neighbors house go away because you want a better view of the mountains. Not unless you own the network in question, in which case you can manage it on your router.

How do I remove WiFi networks from the WiFi drop down list OS X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.