Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macintosh Classic II Not Saving System Settings?

Hi there,

I bought a Macintosh Classic II off Kijiji a while back, and everything on the computer appears to work fine, except for one thing. The computer does not want to save to save the system settings, such as Time/Date, Mouse Speed, Volume and Sound, etc.

Every time I boot up the Mac, I go and change the Time/Date to the correct setting, as well as set the mouse and volume to my preferences. Now, if I reboot the computer from the Menu Bar, the Mac retains these settings upon boot, but if I turn off the computer, either by just flipping the switch or going to the Menu Bar and clicking Shut Down, and then waiting for the "It is now safe to turn off your Macintosh" message, the next time I boot up the computer, all the settings will have returned to their defaults. (The Mouse and and Volume settings change back, and the Time/Date defaults to 12:05 on 8/16/1956)

I know it can't be something wrong with the Hard Drive, because it's working perfectly fine, I.E. if I write a document in TextEdit and save it to the Desktop, the next time I boot up the computer, it'll still be there.

Any ideas why this might be happening? I mean, it's not a big deal to me, just a minor inconvenience, but if there's something wrong with the computer, I'd like to know.

Thanks,

-HeyMama555

Macintosh Classic II-OTHER, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier

Posted on Dec 15, 2014 8:48 PM

1 reply

Dec 16, 2014 2:33 AM in response to HeyMama555

Hi,

There is a 3.6 V lithium battery on the logic board. If the battery voltage is too low, the system will show symptoms like those described.

http://support.apple.com/kb/sp204

Please note that opening a Classic II can be dangerous because of high-voltage circuits in certain sections of the computer. So, ask someone with the necessary expertise (and the correct tools) to replace the battery.

Jan

Macintosh Classic II Not Saving System Settings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.