Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pay at Walgreens - bad experience

I tried Apple Pay at Walgreens tonight for the first time. I used my debit card. It required I enter my PIN, then select that I don't want cash back and finally one last thing. Not what I would call easy-one-button access. So I did a little reading and found that it might be related to the Chase debit card I selected. Luckily, I had reason to go to Walmart again, later. This time, I decided to go into Passbook and chose a regular credit card (Capital One Master Card). Used Apple pay to pay for my purchase. Same **** thing. I was asked for a PIN. What the heck? PIN? for a credit card? Again, I had to select no cash back and another confirmation. This *****. It must be Walgreens. I complained to the manager about it. I've also used Apple Pay at Whole Foods. It is much nicer, I only have to push a confirm amount button, but that is all. Of course I would prefer to not have to touch that dang keypad. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 12GB RAM, iPhone 6

Posted on Dec 15, 2014 7:37 PM

11 replies

Dec 16, 2014 3:21 PM in response to Alfredo Jahn

I used Apple Pay this evening at Walgreens and had no such problem, consequently it is more likely that your Master Card is both a Debit and a Credit Card. Whenever I use my Master Card that is Debit but also can be used as Credit, every Retailer's EFT PinPad Device defaults to Debit and requests a PIN ...All PinPad Devices are not the same, but most will revert to Credit if you depress the Clear Key when the PIN Number request occurs. In any event Walgreens is a little cumbersome anyway due to their typical "Offers/Options" available via the PinPad Device. They have their own Frequent Buyer Program which requires that you enter your phone number if you don't carry your key fob or plastic Frequent Shopper Card. They also sometimes ofter "Free" access to a Magazine (which you can never stop after accepting it). My experience this evening worked flawlessly with my sleeping iPhone waking by itself and opening the PassBook App ...then the Touch ID is automatically flashing with partial finger print images to tell you that it is time to apply your Thumb or Finger to the Touch ID on the iPhone ...The Check Mark shows up and you should be done, but No Walgreens wants you to Sign for your transaction on the PinPad.

Dec 18, 2014 11:09 AM in response to Alfredo Jahn

You're doing nothing wrong; it's Walgreens. I experienced the same same at two different Walgreens where I live. Each retailer is different from my experience. The easiest so far has been McDonald's where all you do is touch your finger to your phone but I rarely if ever eat there so I don't plan on that experience very often.

-Brian

Dec 18, 2014 1:53 PM in response to Alfredo Jahn

I just used Apple Pay again today at Walgreens, but this time on the Pharmacy Register. Everything worked absolutely fine but the dollar limit requiring a signature is different in the Pharmacy. In my area Walgreens there is a signature requirement if the amount spent is $25 or more in the General Register at the front of the store and $50 or greater at the back of the store at the Pharmacy counter. No request for a Pin Number for a Credit Card. In fact the Customer doesn't actually do anything except hold the sleeping iPhone up to the NFC reader on the PinPad Device. The PassPort App opens and you just place you appropriate finger on the Touch ID until the checkmark and "Ding" occurs. Now sign the PinPad if you spent the threshold amount or more.

Dec 20, 2014 10:56 PM in response to Alfredo Jahn

You see, the fingerprint never leaves the iPhone, so there is no way for the store or the card processing company to know that you are authorized to use the card. Apple Pay is used so that the store or any hackers never can come into contact with your debit or credit card number, just like what Paypal is used for on online merchants. It is simply that your very important card number is only shared with the people who actually need it, and so that it is not stored in a computer that can be hacked, because if some finds out your device account number (iPay number) no one would be able to use it, since it is linked to your phone. So you will still be required to put in your pin or sign, depending on the rules set by the store or there card processing company. At least until the stores and card processing companies understand how secure touch id is.

Dec 27, 2014 2:27 PM in response to Alfredo Jahn

I have used Apple Pay at two other stores with same card and no problems, very easy and quick. The last couple days I used it at Walgreens twice and both times had to enter a pin. First time I also was asked if I wanted cash back.

After reading these posts I know that it is a Walgreens issue. I asked the cashier about it and she said I was the first one to use Apple Pay that she had seen. Next time I am there I will talk to management about it.

Jan 1, 2015 7:28 PM in response to dabuzzard

I Went to Walgreens yesterday and tried to use aPAY and it asked for a PIN. I entered my PIN and it declined four times! I immediately got paranoid and checked my account. Plenty of money in the account and the cashier had no clue what aPAY was. Very disappointed but will try at other retailers.

Jan 6, 2015 3:50 PM in response to Alfredo Jahn

It's a matter of the merchant's technology being one or two steps behind ApplePay, this is the same reason that people are being asked for a signature for over $50 transactions, although Touch ID should be more than sufficient as a cardholder identifier. I expect this to change, and in fact at a couple retailers although my default AP card is my debit card, it diverts right to credit, and doesn't request a signature, so they're right with the curve. Other merchants will catch up soon, the EMV Liability Shift starts this October for most merchant types.

Just select Credit, and let the transaction process as a credit rather than a debit transaction, and you should be good.

Apple Pay at Walgreens - bad experience

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.