Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

send screen to printer ? use automator ?

i want to print what is on the screen.

closest i found was capture to clipboard.

? use automator ?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Dec 15, 2014 10:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2014 10:59 AM

Take a screen shot, open it in Preview, and print.

Screen shots

6 replies

Dec 17, 2014 3:01 PM in response to mri1397

MSDOS had a key to press to print what is on the screen.

on my mac, I am trying not to take a screen shot, open it in Preview, and print.

closest i found was capture to clipboard, open a program say MS Word, then paste it there, then control P to print it.

? how about using automator for this series of steps?

thank you

Dec 18, 2014 12:52 PM in response to mri1397

One way:

1. Create a new folder called "screenshots" in the Pictures folder.

2. Open Terminal.

a. In Terminal, copy/paste the command below and then hit return so that all screenshots are saved to the new folder:

defaults write com.apple.screencapture location ~/Pictures/screenshots/

b. And copy/paste this next command and then hit return to make the save location change take effect:

killall SystemUIServer

3. Open Automator. Choose Folder Action from the templates.

a. Set the first action to receive files and folders from Pictures > screenshots.

b. Add one action: Print Finder Items.

c. Save as "print screenshots"

User uploaded file

4. Test by taking a screenshot (Cmd-Shift-3 if you want everything, or one of the other options described in the document Eric Root recommends). The screenshot will be saved to the screenshots folder; the Folder Action will be triggered as the new file comes into the folder; then the screenshot will be sent to the printer.

Dec 20, 2014 9:31 AM in response to mns579

i had called apple support and asked them how to do it.

they said they don't support automator

but your way worked !

it worked !

thank you !

as a side effect it creates a screenshot file on my desktop, which i delete.

do you know of a way to modify the automator file i just made to automatically delete that screenshot file from desk top after the printer has printed.

alan

Dec 20, 2014 10:13 AM in response to mri1397

If you followed the instructions above, the screenshots go only to that Pictures/screenshots folder (not to your Desktop). If you make a new screenshot, does it land on your Desktop or in Pictures/screenshots--or both?

In any event, to answer your question, here's a version of the Folder Action that continues to work on the screenshot--sending it to the printer, waiting 10 seconds (my networked printer takes a bit of time to accept the file, though yours may be quicker), then moving the file to the Trash.

No, Apple won't help you with Automator questions--and never has helped with questions about Automator, going back to its creation in OS X 10.4.

User uploaded file

send screen to printer ? use automator ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.