Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using more then 2 monitors on Final Cut Pro X

I have 3 monitors connected to my new 2014 MACPRO. The trouble is, in FCPx I can not set which monitor is my second monitor and the monitor the computer chooses is my low end monitor which is turned 90 degrees for my prompting in my VO booth. I don't want FCPx to use this monitor at all when I have 2 very nice displays (1x4k and a Apple Cinema) of which one is not being used.

APPLE please give us some more options!!! you create this awesome hardware that can handle multiple screens and then your PROFESSIONAL software lets it down.

Does anyone know how to tell the MAC which screen is the secondary display when you have 3 or more displays?

Mac Pro (Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), got a Black Magic Ultra Studio 4k

Posted on Dec 15, 2014 9:17 PM

1 reply

Dec 18, 2014 7:30 AM in response to HBPRODUCTIONSLTD

I think I have a solution for you. It took me a while to respond because I don't normally have 3 monitors attached to a mac.

I just did a short test and it appears to work, so here goes:

1) Have Final Cut Pro's interface all in your main monitor

2) Open System Preferences->Displays, and click "Arrangement". This usually seves to define the spatial relation between your monitors - you may already have used it for establishing which one is to the right, center, or left.

In addition to dragging the representation of the monitors around, you can also drag the representation of the Menu Bar.

This used to be essential before Mavericks, as only one monitor could have a menu bar, and it would seem irrelevant now.

HOWEVER, all you have to do now is: Drag the Menu Bar representation to your *second* monitor (the one where you want your viewer to appear).

3) Set Final Cut Pro to put viewers on second display, as usual. It should select the one you want.

Using more then 2 monitors on Final Cut Pro X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.