Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini (2011 A1347) Serious Issue - powers up but does not display

dear community,

today my digital life has come crashing down in spectacular style around me.

please allow me to explain:

I had my pebble Watch charger plugged into my 2011 Macmini5,1, (the magnetic type) this had come away from the watch and as I went to reconnect there was a pop bang at the usb connection adapter that the charger was attached to

The Mac Mini went off. Not only this my HDTV also went off simultaneously.

I inspected the USB cable and it was completely frazzled. i then attempted to power on the mac mini but to no avail

i also tried to power on my hannspree tv but this is no longer working, even with another power cable. (The TV was connected via HDMI - if anyone could help here that would also be appreciated)

So now because of this stupid USB cable the Mac Mini is failing to display or boot chime. I am getting the fan on.

Please hopefully someone can help me here with some information, maybe help me troubleshoot. or any components i should possibly check?

it really couldn’t of happened at a worse time either. right before christmas

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 16, 2014 4:56 AM

10 replies

Dec 16, 2014 5:02 AM in response to jonn1011

Hello!

That's a scary story.

I do think it’s strange that both your Mac and your TV have stopped working. I could understand why your Mac would be broken by an severe electric charge maybe, but this shouldn’t travel through the HDMI cable to damage your tv.

Really, I suggest plugging your Mac and TV into other wall outlets to test if maybe your power outlet has kicked the bucket.

Dec 16, 2014 5:07 AM in response to jonn1011

Try resetting the SMC and PRAM

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

About NVRAM and PRAM

However, I suspect you zapped the Mini, maybe the lower voltage part since you siad the fan works.

The power surge could have went into HDMI and damaged the TV.

Make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

Apr 16, 2015 3:26 AM in response to jonn1011

to close this discussion:

at the genius bar it transpired that the Logic Board had fried.

This was a result of static charge traveling through an exposed usb extension cable thus destroying the board on the mac mini.

the TV AV board was also destroyed through the HDMI cable connected at the time.

recommendations to take away from this episode:-

- do not charge a pebble (or apple) watch on a mac usb port because the static will fry the logic board in the case of a disconnection from the charging terminals

- never underestimate the devastating effect of static charge which strikes violently at the most UNEXPECTED time

Mac mini (2011 A1347) Serious Issue - powers up but does not display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.