Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD RAM installation

Hi everyone,

I have a BW G3 (listed below) running 10.2.x

I have a couple of questions: first of all, I just got a DVD RAM drive off a guy in town here for $5. I know the guy, so it's a good drive, he said it's in fine working condition. It's the Apple Model #LF-D111A

Anyway, I haven't attempted installing it yet - it's a simple IDE drive, but I have a couple of questions before I do.

First of all, he pulled this unit out of a G4, and it's listed as a G4 unit, but I read online that it can be installed in a BW G3 as long as you have the "decoder card" whatever that is! So first question: What is the decoder card? Do I have it? How do I get it? Is it worth it?

My second question is I plan to install OS Tiger on my system after I get the DVD RAM drive installed. Do you forsee any problems with this installation? Will I have to reinstall my program files?

Thanks so much!

Tim

B&W G3. 450Mhz., Mac OS X (10.2.x)

Posted on Oct 2, 2006 11:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2006 3:55 PM

for "decoder card" read "MPEG Decoder card", which attaches to the standard Display Card and is used only to play movies in Mac OS 9.
9 replies

Oct 2, 2006 8:13 PM in response to Timothy Shutes

The decoder module piggybacked to the B&W G3's OEM ATI Rage 128 graphics card. The earliest versions (1.x) of the Apple DVD Player program relied on hardware (MPEG-2) decoding, for viewing DVD movies. By the time that OS X shipped with newer Macs having faster CPUs, the Apple DVD Player program was able to use software decoding, not requiring the hardware decoder.

Oct 3, 2006 6:13 AM in response to Timothy Shutes

The software decoder works great with a G4/400 or better. If you have a less-capable processor, you may have to go to extraordinary lengths to reduce other processor use to get stutter-free movie playback. This could include shutting down Networking and eliminating background processes. Adding more real RAM memory may be required to reduce disk activity due to paging.

DVD RAM installation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.