Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport extreme and att uverse NVG589

Hi, can the latest Airport Extreme be used with out att's router NVG589?

I recently purchased an AE so I can returned att's router to them and save a couple of bucks a month. But for what I have been reading is that you need both, att's router and AE?.

I purchased the AE for better reception in the house (small normal house) and steady Wi-Fi mainly.

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 16, 2014 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2014 8:30 AM

Not likely. AT&T's router is what connects and logs you into your internet service with AT&T. Its not just a router, its also a Modem that negotiates the connection to AT&T. It has ports that AT&T uses that are not present in the AP Extreme. i.e the rj14 , coaxial, dsl broadband etc...

The Extreme is just a router. It takes in an ethernet signal form your Modem, and routes it out to devices connected to it.

You can probably turn off the Wireless network from the NVG589, and use the extreme's wireless instead though.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2014 8:30 AM in response to thekernel

Not likely. AT&T's router is what connects and logs you into your internet service with AT&T. Its not just a router, its also a Modem that negotiates the connection to AT&T. It has ports that AT&T uses that are not present in the AP Extreme. i.e the rj14 , coaxial, dsl broadband etc...

The Extreme is just a router. It takes in an ethernet signal form your Modem, and routes it out to devices connected to it.

You can probably turn off the Wireless network from the NVG589, and use the extreme's wireless instead though.

Dec 16, 2014 9:27 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Guys, I used this instructions here (http://www.dslreports.com/faq/17734) to do the set up, and now is up and running.

Let me tell you that the speed is way better now and super fast. I purchased this on CL for $100, it will be a big mistake to return it.

And yes Bob, it is way better and the reason why I wanted to ditch att's router was because of the poor performance.

But now a question comes to mind, step 16 says to turn off everything under "Firewall Advanced" and it also says:

The recommendation is to leave these features enabled if you will have any devices on this segment or are using the integrated wireless feature. If you disable these features, make sure you are enabling this functionality on your personal router.

But I am assuming I don't have to do anything on the AE since this device takes care of all security measures right?

Airport extreme and att uverse NVG589

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.