Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preparing an iPad with Apple Configuratior

I'm having some issues with preparing iPad with Configurator. The Macbook is cabled but when it starts the first part of "Downloading iOS 8.1.2" it works for about 15 minutes and then drops the connection with causes the preparing to fail. I think it might be our network because when I take the Macbook/iPads home and complete on my WI-FI I don't have an issue.

Anyone else having this issue?

iPad Air, iOS 8.1.1

Posted on Dec 16, 2014 8:03 AM

1 reply

Dec 16, 2014 9:27 AM in response to pormerod

Hi pormerod,

It does sound like something on your work/school's network that is preventing Apple Configurator to function properly. The first two things I would check are your web filter and your firewall ports.

There are some ports that need to be opened for iPads to work with Apple's server if you are behind a firewall. Here is a list of known TCP and UDP ports used by Apple software products: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6175?viewlocale=en_US

To use iPads behind a firewall (Configurator or not), you'll want to definitely open 5223 for Apple Push Notification and the standard ports for HTTP/HTTPS (80 and 443). If you're using an MDM, you will likely need to open 2195 and 2196 as well. If you still have issues port watch and see what an iPad does when trying to get to the store.

Check your web filter to see if any of Apple's servers are being blocked (software servers, activation servers, etc). Also some organizations will put a DNS block on Apple's update servers to prevent iOS devices from seeing or installing updates.

Chat with your network team to see if they can look at these things to help you identify the cause of the issues you are experiencing. Hope this helps!

~Joe

Preparing an iPad with Apple Configuratior

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.