Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 Plus Mic Issue ?

When making/receiving calls from my wife's 6 suddenly the voice sound quality has diminished. Rather than the other person hearing a clear voice from the iPhone 6 Plus, the other person hears a hallow sounding voice accompanied by a hissing sound and what seems like a lack of noise cancellation.

This happened suddenly yesterday and has continued since...

Note: This is as heard from the perspective of the OTHER person on the call, NOT the person using the iPhone 6+ in question.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Dec 16, 2014 8:08 AM

2 replies

Dec 18, 2014 6:41 AM in response to louisandsmita

Hello louisandsmita,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

If the sound quality the other party on a phone call is experiencing is not a quality that is to be expected, there may be a couple of different troubleshooting steps that I wold recommend.

The first steps I would recommend are the basic microphone troubleshooting steps for an iPhone and can be located in the attached article.

If your voice is too faint or sounds unclear using iPhone, or iPod touch - Apple Support

After completing the steps, if the issue continues, I suggest toggling the Phone Noise Cancellation setting on the iPhone. This can be found under Settings > General > Accessibility. Please let me know if the issue continues.

Use Accessibility features in iOS - Apple Support

Best regards,

Joe

Dec 18, 2014 11:07 AM in response to AppleJoe

Thank you. I just tried this.

I made identical, simultaneous recordings on my 6 and my wife's 6+. It's difficult to discern the difference in sound although the image generated while the recording is made is slightly more jagged on the 6+ than my 6.

I also noticed that at the same time that the symptoms I mentioned above started, during calls the network indicator says "LTE." I live in an area that has had ATT LTE data for some time, but may only recently have had VO-LTE turned on. So I turned off LTE for voice and made a voice call. The sound went back to the way it was before this past Monday.

I wonder if the VO-LTE sound quality is so good that it's picking up things I don't usually hear ????

iPhone 6 Plus Mic Issue ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.