Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari for mac 8.0.2 very slow

Hello dears,

I am not sure, but it seems that after I have upgraded my Mac to Yosemite my safari browser became very slow. Some sites needs few minutes to load. I was trying to delete the history, disable extensions. Nothing really helped. It looks that blue line starts running (aka loading site) and hangs at ±1/3 of the way. than continues. As I have said - some sites needs few minutes to load.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 16, 2014 9:23 AM

13 replies

Dec 16, 2014 9:41 AM in response to mantazu

1. Power off the router. Unplug it from the wall. Wait a while.

Plug it back to the wall. Power the router on. Wait until all the lights are lit properly. It will take a while.

Restart the computer.

Start up in Safe Mode.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14204

2. Delete Caches.db

Close all windows and quit all applications.

Hold "option" key down and click "Go" menu in the Finder menu bar.

Select "Library" from the dropdown.

Library > Caches > com.apple.Safari > Caches.db

Right click the Caches.db file and select "Move To Trash.

Close windows and relaunch Safari.

3. Empty Caches

Safari > Preference > Advanced

Checkmark the box for "Show Develop menu in menu bar".

Develop menu will appear in the Safari menu bar.

Click Develop and select "Empty Caches" from the dropdown.

Dec 16, 2014 12:51 PM in response to mantazu

Please answer as many of the following questions as you can. You may already have answered some of them. In that case, there's no need to repeat the answers.

Back up all data before making any changes.

Have you restarted your router and your broadband device (if they're separate) since you first noticed the problem? If not, do that now and see whether there's any change.

If your browser is Safari, then from the Safari menu bar, select

Safari â–ą Preferences... â–ą Privacy â–ą Remove All Website Data

and confirm. If the Downloads button (with the icon of a downward-pointing arrow) is showing in the toolbar, click it and then click Clear in the box that appears. The download history will be removed. Any change?

If you're running OS X 10.9 or later, select the Advanced tab in the Preferences window and uncheck the box marked

Stop plug-ins to save power

Any change?

Quit and relaunch the browser. Any change?

Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your documents or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this behavior; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Are any other web browsers installed, and are they the same? What about other Internet applications, such as iTunes and the App Store?

If other browsers and Internet applications are also affected, follow these instructions and test. Any change?

If Parental Controls is active for any user, please turn it off and test. Any change?

If only Safari is affected, launch the Activity Monitor application and enter "web" (without the quotes) in the search box. If a process named "Safari Web Content" is shown in red or is using more than about 5% of a CPU, select it and force it to quit by clicking the X or Quit Process button in the toolbar of the window. There may be more than one such process. Any improvement?

Follow the instructions in this support article. Any change?

Open the iCloud preference pane and uncheck the box marked Photos, if it's checked. Any change?

Are there any other devices on the same network that can browse the Web, and are they affected?

If you can test Safari on another network, is it the same there?

If you connect to your router with Wi-Fi and you can also connect with Ethernet, do that and turn off Wi-Fi. Any difference?

Dec 17, 2014 1:00 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hello,

Actualy I did a lot of things you have said:

- my safari is slow both at home and in the office networsk. Both networks have different routers as well as ISPs;

- no, I have not tried wired option as non of my networks support wired installations;

- I have stopped and run again plugins no difference;

- I have deleted history and cleared cache - no changes;

- I have quit safari number of times - no changes;

- I have restarted and turnoff/on my Mac - no changes;

- I do not use parental control at all;

- I have removed photos from iCloud - no changes.

Dec 17, 2014 8:09 AM in response to mantazu

Start up in Recovery mode. In the OS X Utilities screen, select Get Help Online. A clean copy of Safari will launch. No plugins, such as Flash, will be available. While in Recovery, you'll have no access to your saved bookmarks or passwords, so make a note of those before you begin, if they're needed for the test.

Test. After testing, restart as usual and post the results.

Dec 18, 2014 9:54 AM in response to Linc Davis

After all the problems I've had with Safari since the release or Yosemite, I have found one simple work around. Open Chrome or Firefox. When pages load in an instant on these two browsers, and not Safari, there is no need to fiddle and fight in recovery mode and waste a whole day to achieve nothing. Safari has a very real problem. No amount of tweaking is going to fix it, until Apple releases a version that works. I'm an Apple lover, but these ongoing issues with Safari are not helping my loyalty at all. So for now, I have made Chrome my default browser. Only because it simply works without issues.

Dec 29, 2014 11:57 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hello Davis,

I did as you requested, but with no luck. I know one particular site where this problems exist for sure and in Recovery mode it loaded same slow.

P.S. I do not want to give up on Safari sow fast, as I love other features like keychain as well as possibility to continue browsing on my other "i" devices. I will be waiting for some updates...

Jan 2, 2015 11:45 AM in response to mantazu

I have new gigapower 1000 down/1000 up. . Testing revealed... 10.9 faster than 10.10. New Safari 8.0.2 is the worst speed with the upload speeds reduced by 50%. Fastest speeds with google 32 bit on 10.9. 940/930. Safari 8.02 786/202. with long ping times 32 msec. Not sure whats up but I did all the suggested cache emptying and resets. Deleted the plist and cache for safari....

Jan 5, 2015 6:49 PM in response to L Konig

Hi - Try Preferences > Search and turn off all the Smart Search Fields. I also turned off Security > Allow WebGL since I don't know what it is and don't care.

I have a MacBook Pro 2011 and finally installed Yosemite yesterday. Noticed the slow Safari immediately, crazy slow. But the above seemed to put it back to about normal for me.

I just looked for new bells and whistles that I didn't recognize. I figured it was trying to be too Smart and maybe doing too many things in the background between pages. And thought if something is noticeably different without WebGL, I'd google and see if I really need it or not. PS the pop up blocker was not checked so you have to check that on.

Washington post.com went from 15-20 seconds (!!) down to 4-6. The rest went from 6-10 down to 3-6 which I think was about as good as it was.

I'd be curious if anyone else sees a difference, maybe I'm just imagining it.

Jan 6, 2015 12:32 AM in response to yater94

Hello,

This seems cured the problem or at least it made it usable. Thank You. My experience is based on gut feeling, but the actual testing and maybe I want the problem to be solved finally, but at least few sites (earlier known to me as slow loading) works more or less fine.

I understand that I could use other browsers and etc, but being with Apple gives several very nice features and I do not want to give it up that simple (keychain, cloud)

Jul 17, 2015 10:18 AM in response to mantazu

I had this problem. I tried all the solutions offered on this forum and elsewhere. Very grateful for those suggestions and offer of help by the way. Unfortunately none of the measures helped my situation. Sometimes there was some initial speed gains, but these were quickly lost. Safari is so integrated with my work - iPhone & iPad etc. that I felt I could not switch to Chrome & in desperation I was thinking of upgrading my 2007 iMac, even though I did not really want to do this.

I popped into the Apple Centre (Exeter, Devon, UK) and spoke to Tom, an Apple Genius who turned out to be just that! His advice was to uninstall (using the Rapport uninstaller provided) Rapport which I had installed as requested by my Internet Bank. Uninstall, restart and wow! It's like having a new computer. Safari now whizzes along just fine.

I hope this helps!

safari for mac 8.0.2 very slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.