Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set up ask to buy for adult accounts?

I have family sharing set-up for our family and it is a combination of child and adult accounts. For the adult accounts I want to turn on the "ask to buy" feature rather than just letting them buy anything they want at anytime using my credit card. How do I do this?

Posted on Dec 16, 2014 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2017 6:14 PM

I totally agree with you! The family organizer should be able to control who can make purchases whether the requestor is an adult or not. And since when do under 18y get free reign of anyone's credit card? I'd sure like to know how Apple came about deciding it's ok for a 14y old to make purchases without approval first?!!

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2017 6:14 PM in response to Kailin99

I totally agree with you! The family organizer should be able to control who can make purchases whether the requestor is an adult or not. And since when do under 18y get free reign of anyone's credit card? I'd sure like to know how Apple came about deciding it's ok for a 14y old to make purchases without approval first?!!

Jan 24, 2017 4:03 PM in response to King_Penguin

King_Penguin, I am curious if you know how to get a former under 18 yr old to stay marked as "Ask to Buy" as you stated it would do so as long as they were part of Family Share previous to turning 18.

For under 18s you can enable 'ask to buy', and as long as you don't turn that 'off' after they turn 18 then it will continue to be 'on' and you will have to approve their purchases.

My daughter just turned 18, still in high school, and we got a surprise when she purchased something and it just went through instead of sending a request to buy to me.

Jan 29, 2017 6:57 PM in response to ed2345

Uh, check again. I set up family sharing and was unable to turn on Ask to Buy as it was not an available option. Apple considered my family members (all >13y but

"The family organizer can turn on Ask to Buy for any family member who isn't an adult. It's on by default for any children under 13, and you'll be asked to set up Ask to Buy when inviting anyone under 18 to your family group.*

* Age varies by country or region. "

Dec 16, 2014 9:45 AM in response to venz

'Ask to buy' is only an option for child accounts and under-18s (that age varies by country) : Request and make purchases with Ask to Buy :

Ask to Buy is a feature of Family Sharing, and the family organizer can turn on Ask to Buy for any family member who isn't an adult.

Ask to Buy is on by default for any children under 13, and you'll be asked if you want to enable Ask to Buy when inviting anyone under 18 to your family group.* If you turn off Ask to Buy for a family member after they turn 18,* you can't turn it on again.

Apr 22, 2015 5:34 AM in response to johnfromcedar park

If they have credit on their account then that will be used : Family purchases and payments - Apple Support

After you set up your family, any time a family member initiates a new purchase it will be billed directly to your account unless that family member has gift or store credit. First, their store credit will be used to pay the partial or total bill. The remainder will bill to the family organizer's card.

For turning 18 see my first reply above.

Apr 22, 2015 9:24 AM in response to johnfromcedar park

johnfromcedar park wrote:

I do not understand why I need to let my family members access my credit card rather than use their own iTunes gift cards.

John,

An inherent aspect of Family Sharing is that the Family Organizer is taking financial responsibility for all members.

If the member is one whom you do not trust to maintain a sufficient credit balance per the document quoted by KP, then yes the charges will go to your credit card. You should immediately avail yourself of the following procedure:

The family organizer can remove anyone over 13 from the family group at any time.

Apr 22, 2015 10:25 AM in response to johnfromcedar park

If you are the family organiser then you can decide who is invited to be, and who remains, part of the family group. For under 18s you can enable 'ask to buy', and as long as you don't turn that 'off' after they turn 18 then it will continue to be 'on' and you will have to approve their purchases.

If you turn it off after they turn 18, or you invite somebody over 18 to join the family, then you are agreeing to take responsibility for any purchases that they make which isn't covered by any balance that they have on their own account. If they abuse that trust then remove them from the family - and don't invite people to join who don't trust not to abuse it.

Jul 7, 2015 11:57 AM in response to King_Penguin

I understand that being over 18 may be sufficient for a person to be responsible. But it would be a much better control feature if you only shared your purchases with family and make your own purchases and the others their own too. Maybe I have credit, and I want to buy an item, or maybe I want to buy it with the orginzer credit. Those two possibilities are more than real. I mean, now there is apple music, with a great family plan, maybe I just want to share that, and not everything with a "relative" grown up, that just turned 18. Or worse, maybe I have a relative that is an adult but he has different capabilities. That person for the fact of being an adult will always be controled on his expenses in the real world, being over 18, but I can't do it on family sharing, though I want to share with him all my purchases. I mean, it's not that difficult to enable, it is much better to give control to the organizer that makes the family group, to invite anyone, controlling their expenses. If I am invited to a family group and maybe I don't like that I cannot use the orginzers credit card without asking, then I don't join. It's that simple. Thank you, hope contitions for family sharing change.

How to set up ask to buy for adult accounts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.