Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up Time Capsule in Bridge Mode?

For the past several days now I’ve been researching this discussion group for Time Capsule setup advice. Thanks for all the helpful posts. I think I’ve got it but would like some confirmation.

Background: My existing network is quite simple. Using an ISP provided (Frontier DSL) Netgear router. Connected to that I have a Ethernet wired Apple Express, my Wi-Fi base station. That’s it. Works great. All other devices, iPads, MacBooks, etc. connect wirelessly to the Express.

Proposed Changes: Now I want to add a Time Capsule to back up the MacBook’s wirelessly using Time Machine. I have no need to create another network. Have no need to extend my existing one. I only want to use the Time Capsule for back up purposes. l’ll locate it right next to my Apple Express providing a Ethernet connection between the two.

Question/ confirmation: My understanding is, Bridge Mode is the setup configuration I want to use? If that is correct, are there any tips or tricks I should be mindful of?

iPad, iOS 7

Posted on Dec 16, 2014 12:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2014 3:54 PM

It should work......IF......the Time Capsule has already been set up to create a wireless network and it is operating correctly.

But, your initial post seems to be indicating that you do not even have the Time Capsule set up and working yet, so the instructions would not be applicable until you have the Time Capsule set up and working.

In other words, if you have the Time Capsule already set up, the instructions that you posted are simply "tweaks" to the Time Capsule setup. They do not tell you "how" to set up the Time Capsule from a factory default condition when the Time Capsule is new, and has not yet been configured initially to create a network.

If you set up the Time Capsule correctly, it is already configured in Bridge Mode. The only thing that you should need to do is turn off the wireless....if you want to, even though it is probably not necessary.

If this all sounds too confusing, you do have 90 days of free phone support from Apple Support. They will walk you through the setup of the Time Capsule. Then....you can turn off the wireless on the Time Capsule if you decide that you want to do this.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2014 3:54 PM in response to Mike's Pad

It should work......IF......the Time Capsule has already been set up to create a wireless network and it is operating correctly.

But, your initial post seems to be indicating that you do not even have the Time Capsule set up and working yet, so the instructions would not be applicable until you have the Time Capsule set up and working.

In other words, if you have the Time Capsule already set up, the instructions that you posted are simply "tweaks" to the Time Capsule setup. They do not tell you "how" to set up the Time Capsule from a factory default condition when the Time Capsule is new, and has not yet been configured initially to create a network.

If you set up the Time Capsule correctly, it is already configured in Bridge Mode. The only thing that you should need to do is turn off the wireless....if you want to, even though it is probably not necessary.

If this all sounds too confusing, you do have 90 days of free phone support from Apple Support. They will walk you through the setup of the Time Capsule. Then....you can turn off the wireless on the Time Capsule if you decide that you want to do this.

Dec 16, 2014 12:27 PM in response to Mike's Pad

You will have to set up the Time Capsule to create a network first, then go back in using AirPort Utility and turn off the wireless function on the Time Capsule. You won't have to worry about "Bridge Mode" and other jargon this way, the utility will take care of setting things up correctly.

l’ll locate it right next to my Apple Express providing a Ethernet connection between the two.

Don't know if you realize it or not, but you will be losing tons of speed this way. The reason.....the Ethernet ports on the Express will only support up to 100 Mbps, so that is the fastest speed that the connection to the Time Capsule will be.

The Time Capsule has Gigabit Ethernet ports, so it can handle 10 times the speed that the Express can deliver. The bottom line......while things will "work", backups are going to be much, much slower.

Dec 16, 2014 3:23 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for the Reply, Bob. I don't know how to set up a network. I tried setting up my Apple Express originally, failed, and had the Geek Squad (Best Buy) come out to set it up. I can't afford another $300 to have them out again. Alternatively, I found this post elsewhere and this I think I can do.

Quote: "

Connect a single Mac to your Time Capsule using an Ethernet cable plugged in to one of the Time Capsule’s LAN ports. On the Mac, turn off Wi-Fi to ensure that you’re only connected to your Time Capsule and then launch AirPort Utility. Select your Time Capsule from the window and press Edit.

We now need to configure two items: 1) Disable the wireless functions of the Time Capsule and, 2) Set your Time Capsule to Bridge Mode.

Start first by selecting the Wireless tab. Here, under the Network Mode drop-down menu, select Off. This will disable any wireless networks created by your Time Capsule. Next, select the Network tab. Under the Router Mode drop-down, select Off (Bridge Mode). Once you’re done, press Update and your Time Capsule will reboot and enable the changes you configured.

At this point, disconnect your Mac from the Time Capsule, re-enable your Wi-Fi if necessary, and connect your Mac to your primary Wi-Fi network. Then use an Ethernet cable to connect one of your router’s LAN ports to your Time Capsule’s WAN port. After a moment or two, your router will assign the Time Capsule its own IP address and the Time Capsule’s hard drive should appear as a Time Machine candidate on any Mac connected to the same network." End Quote...

So Bob, my question to you is, will this work?

Dec 16, 2014 3:57 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks again.

This will be a new installation for the Time Capsule so I'll forget the setup idea in that previous post of mine. I may try Apple Support. Or, I may just return the Time Capsule and forget the idea. I really don't want to mess up my existing network and I don't want to relive the struggle we had getting it setup in the first time.

I have a USB Seagate drive that I have been using for backups, manually kicking them off, so I may decide to live with that.

Dec 16, 2014 8:23 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks again.

This will be a new installation for the Time Capsule so I'll forget the setup idea in that previous post of mine. I may try Apple Support. Or, I may just return the Time Capsule and forget the idea. I really don't want to mess up my existing network and I don't want to relive the struggle we had getting it setup in the first time.

I have a USB Seagate drive that I have been using for backups, manually kicking them off, so I may decide to live with that.

Jul 8, 2015 10:03 AM in response to Mike's Pad

I have an issue that's in the same ballpark, not exactly the same, so I guess I'll direct the question to Bob, I've been a longtime Time Capsule user for wireless back up until we just recently moved, into an area that has Verizon Fios. The Verizon people informed me we have to use their router because it is designed to work with their Fiber optic system, whatever, but at least it's also an AC router (I have the latest AC time Capsule). So now I just want to plug my time capsule into my imac, turn off the router function, and use the time capsule as the target drive for my time machine backups. The time machine was previously used as the main router in my previous house so it used to be used for a network. I don't want to have to spend money for a new drive.

Jul 8, 2015 1:32 PM in response to abarry126

You can indeed plug the TC into the Mac by ethernet and use it as TM target.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6486672

It is somewhat tricky to setup. And less reliable than using an external drive.

I don't want to have to spend money for a new drive.

Why not sell the TC, and use the proceeds to buy a USB3 external drive.. you should have change out of the deal.

Especially later iMac with USB3 ports.. you will find it is faster.. much faster than a TC even over gigabit. It is more reliable.. and for the money you can get a mighty big drive.

Jul 9, 2015 1:39 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for the reply, I don't like the idea of selling a drive that has / has had my data on it, no matter if it was re-formatted or not, so that's not an option. I just wanted some instructions on how to do it. I looked at the link you gave and it sounded similar to an issue I had when I tried using an old time capsule with a newer one a couple years ago. Even with Apple support helping me, the old and new time capsule kept conflicting with each other. Too bad Apple doesn't make these things easy to configure and use in various setups. I have the time capsule currently plugged into the back of my mac with an ethernet cable, and I turned the wireless off, but time machine doesn't recognize the time capsule - no doubt because it's looking for the wireless signal and I don't know the next steps about how to configure the time capsule to just work over ethernet.

Jul 9, 2015 4:12 PM in response to abarry126

I don't like the idea of selling a drive that has / has had my data on it, no matter if it was re-formatted or not, so that's not an option.

Apple provide a secure low level format..

When you choose erase simply choose the secure ones..

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Zero out data is a one pass full low level format.. 7 pass does it 7 times in a row.. in other words every track has 0 written to it 7 times..

It will take more than a week to finish and recovery is at best fragmentary. And that is by NSA super computer..

For all practical purposes the disk is gone..

An even better way IMHO is simply do a zero out data.. then actually copy Linux ISOs to the disk.. ie the same ISO however many times is required to fill it up.. that will be faster than 7pass erase and will be exceeding difficult to recover data from..

Unless you have the launch codes to the remaining ICBMs in your computer.. backed up to the hard disk.. I doubt anyone is going to fudge around trying to find your data underneath a linux iso.

Now for the setup of the TC.

I can give full instructions for setting up the TC in your situation.. but I need to know what IP the computer gets from wireless.. and i need to know the OS your running.

Aug 20, 2015 10:02 AM in response to LaPastenague

Hi all,

Sorry to slightly hijack this thread but it is very useful. I would just like some additional help for my AC TC setup please.

I currently use an ISP supplied AC combined modem and router (Virgin Media in the UK) and at the moment I have it in modem mode with the TC wired and this provides my wireless network. I backup 1 iMac wired and 2 MacBooks wirelessly.

I want to put the ISP equipment into router mode but still use the TC for all my backups, what is the best way of doing this?

Thanks

Aug 20, 2015 1:49 PM in response to sps1013

All you need to do is switch the TC from router to bridge mode..

But the way you do it is via a full factory reset.

Factory reset universal

Power off the TC.. ie pull the power cord or power off at the wall.. wait 10sec.. hold in the reset button.. be gentle.. power on again still holding in reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led. Release the reset.. and wait a couple of min for the TC to reset and come back with factory settings. If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. The reset is fairly fragile in these.. press it so you feel it just click and no more.. I have seen people bend the lever or even break it. I use a toothpick as tool.

N.B. None of your files on the hard disk of the TC are deleted.. this simply clears out the router settings of the TC.

Plug the TC WAN port into the virgin media router LAN port,, after setting it up in router mode..

Run the setup wizard in the airport utility and it should automatically select bridge for your TC.. that is router bridge. You can also create a wireless network.

All of this is clear when you click the TC in the airport utility and go to edit.

User uploaded file

Then check for bridge.

User uploaded file

And create a wireless network (or off if you plan to use the virgin one instead). It is still better to keep the wireless running in the TC and indeed in both is no problem. Just use different names.

User uploaded file

NOW.. one issue..

In later Mac OS.. yosemite in particular.. if the computer is connected to the virgin media router instead of directly to the TC it will simply forget where the TC is after a day or two. This is a big fat pain in the rear. You really need any Mac that will do backups to connect to the TC.. either by wireless or ethernet. (Even then it can still forget where the TC is after a day or two).

Oct 2, 2015 12:18 PM in response to LaPastenague

I'm trying to follow your instructions and apply them to my situation. My 2TB Airport TC served my Wi-Fi network for a couple of years. Recently my ISP supplied me with a new Internet gateway that is both modem and router. I don't need my TC's router function any longer, but of course I do want the device's back-up feature. Your post seemed to explain how to do what I need to do, but I seem to have hit a snag.

Firsts, I reset the TC, and the light on the front blinked rapidly, as you said it should. Then I connected my TC's WAN port to a LAN (Ethernet) port on the Wi-Fi extender that sits on my desk. (The ISP's gateway sits in my living room at the other end of the house.) Almost immediately, Airport Utility popped up. I had expected to see what appeared in your last post, but instead I got this—

User uploaded file

Where do I go from here?

Oct 3, 2015 2:43 PM in response to Caesar1948

This is excellent and sorry if I confused you.. after a factory reset the TC settings have gone back to factory.. you start the new setup by clicking,

Other wifi devices (1) in the top left corner.. that opens a setup wizard and you go through that to setup the TC.

The (1) means there is a new device to setup.

Setup using the instructions.. ie DO NOT USE APPLE RECOMMENDED NAMES.. use your own names, short, no spaces and pure alphanumerics.

Setup the passwords.. usually now you can use both admin and wireless with one password... but to my way of thinking that is sloppy.. it means everyone who has the wireless password can access your TC and change settings.. no issues if it is only you .. still sloppy though.. the setup wizard allows you to select different passwords..

Anyhow track it through and once completed you can then get in to edit it.

I have been away so sorry also if this is messing you up.

Oct 3, 2015 4:15 PM in response to LaPastenague

I think I have good news. Today I started a fresh post of my own—instead of piggybacking on someone else's—and in the process talked my way through the problem. Your earlier input here was a big help. You can read my new post at "MacBook Pro can't connect to Time Capsule" in this community. (See Incoming Links below.) I mentioned you by your community handle in that post—favorably, I think you'll agree. Last I checked, it seemed my MacBook Pro and my Time Capsule were about to talk.

One more thing: I got a little notice that urged me to log out so these two can talk—in private, I suppose ... ? I encrypt my drive, and it said Time Capsule can't back up anything till I've logged out. Can you help me understand why?

Thanks!

Oct 3, 2015 8:33 PM in response to Caesar1948

One more thing: I got a little notice that urged me to log out so these two can talk—in private, I suppose ... ? I encrypt my drive, and it said Time Capsule can't back up anything till I've logged out. Can you help me understand why?

Some things require the TC to be mounted by TM.. if it is mounted in Finder without being under control of TM it won't backup.. that is my best guess.. but using encrypted drives certainly adds huge levels of complexity to it.

Setting up Time Capsule in Bridge Mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.