Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No light on MagSafe, battery not charging

After running flawlessly for 96 days straight without a restart (only using sleep/wake), my MacBook had a hiccup. The other day, I unplugged the MagSafe connector, left my desk, and ran on battery for about 30 minutes. Upon returning to my desk, I noticed that the MagSafe adapter was still lit green even though it was not connected to the computer, which I thought was odd, then...

I reconnected the MagSafe adapter to the MacBook, and the charging light went out. Ever since then, the light stays off and the battery no longer charges -- it's stuck at about 66% now. The MacBook does sense the adapter, as it runs off AC power just fine. It also runs OK on battery if I disconnect the MagSafe.

I have tried two other MagSafe adapters (in different locations no less), and they act the same -- no lights, no charging. So it's clearly not a problem with the adapter.

I reset the PMU, and reset the PRAM. No difference.

At this point, it's obviously the MacBook or the battery. Anybody run into this same problem and have feedback? I saw many similar issues posted here and in the MacBook Pro forum, but never saw any final resolutions given....

thanks,
Craig

White MacBook 1.83 Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Oct 2, 2006 12:29 PM

21 replies

Oct 20, 2006 10:05 PM in response to yellowman0916

Hey -

I had the same exact problem and I just took my Macbook into the Apple store in New York today. I asked them if they had heard anything about the problem, and as expected, they flat out denied hearing of anything of the sort. I showed it to one of the guys at the Genius Bar and he tested out my magsafe adaptor on another Macbook and it worked fine. So it was definitely an issue with something inside my computer. I left it with them and they're going to send it in to their service center to have the DC in board replaced.

They said to expect it to take 7 to 10 business days, if not a few weeks to get it fixed. So i guess, hope for the best. But i definitely suggest taking it to an apple store.

Oct 21, 2006 5:26 AM in response to rst7

i'm taking it into the apple store tomorrow!~~

i got a replacement power ac adapter after talking to APP over the phone..but the problem still persisted....

so i'm going in tomorrow to check if there's a problem with the port (where the magsage plugs into) or the battery...

i'm hoping it's the battery, so I can just swapt it out......

did they check your battery when you took your MB to the store???

Oct 21, 2006 1:39 PM in response to skier219

Came back to check my original topic and saw the new posts with the same problem. I wonder if this is going to become more widespread?

I recently took my MacBook to a local Apple Store where the Genuis determined it's a problem with the MacBook itself -- DC in board was his guess, as noted above. We tried different adapters and batteries, and nothing worked. I have since learned that the MacBook does not have a separate DC in board (MacBook Pro and previous PowerBooks did). The DC in circuitry is on the main logic board, so fixing this problem will require a full disassembly of the MacBook and a logic board swap.

I plan on sending it in for repair at some point when I can be without the laptop. Right now I leave it plugged in whenever possible to keep the battery from discharging. When I do travel with the MacBook sleeping, it burns off a little of the remaining battery charge. I'm down to 52% at this point after a couple weeks of doing this.

Other than this major problem, the MacBook continues to work great. It's really disappointing that I will have to send it in for a logic board swap though. Anytime you send something in for major repair, it risks leading to additional problems down the road.

White MacBook 1.83 Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Oct 22, 2006 4:58 PM in response to yellowman0916

took it into the apple store today...the genius decided it was a dc board problem..so they're swapping that out....fortunately, they're not sending it out to memphis..so i don't have to wait weeks to get my macbook back....

quick question though...
since they're only replacing the dc board, i wouldn't have to worry about the harddrive getting erased, right?

they told me that i could pay them 100$ and have them backup the HD , but that's ridiculous...

i would've done it myself, but i wasn't anticipating dropping the MB off at the apple store, i was hoping that it was a battery problem, but anyway, does anyone know if i am safe?....the contract says that if the HD is erased, they will not be liable........am i ok???

please,can anyone tell me?

Oct 23, 2006 7:56 AM in response to yellowman0916

You're probably OK, but personally, I would not let my laptop out of my hands for repair without A) backing up the HD, and B) erasing my account (or at least all sensitive data). Generally, I would clone my HD to an external and then erase the internal drive before sending it off for repair.

Let us know how long the repair takes and if the DC-board solves the problem. Good luck!

Oct 25, 2006 9:16 PM in response to djsteilen

Well, I've had my Macbook for three days and it now has this problem. The charger light on the magplug does not light up and the battery does not charge. I've reset the Macbook and tried other power supplies with the same results. Now my brand new laptop is heading back to Apple. 😟

I'm remembering now why I haven't purchased any Macs for the last 5 years - hardware quality control is terrible with Apple. Have I made a terrible mistake going back to Mac?

Oct 26, 2006 9:57 AM in response to apollosmith

Hey -

I just got my macbook back via fedex priority overnite....it had been sent to memphis to get repaired. Surprisingly - the dc in wasn't the only part they listed as replaced. Here's the list word for word "Product serviced by replacing the following: APP-###-#### ASSY, HEATSINK, M42 (1.0mmConnect APP-###-#### PCB MLB, 2.0 Ghz DC, SMS/KIONIX APP-###-#### ADDA FAN W/ CABLE APP-###-#### BATTLITH LITH, 55WHR, ATL, BLK".

Got it back, battery charged, magsafe light works, all is good.

Oct 28, 2006 6:10 PM in response to rst7

i finally got my MB back..it's charging the battery fine...I think they replaced the logic board and the heatsink....

however..previously,, my MB would charge up to 100%..but now it only charges to 99%...i called apple care, and they said this is totally normal...
yet I still want it to charge it to 100%...

I'll calibrate my battery and post if that makes a difference

No light on MagSafe, battery not charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.