Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

slow computer even after repairing disk permissions

When my iMac (OS X 10.6.8) was running very slow I used Disk Utility to verify and repair my disk permissions. That helped for about a week and a half, but now it's very slow again. So I repeated the process. Is there something else I can do?

Most of the permission problems say "Permissions differ on "Library/Printers/E…ld be drwxrwxr-x , they are -rwxrwxr-x ."

Posted on Dec 16, 2014 1:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2014 6:51 PM

How large is your hard drive and how much hard drive space do you have left?

Disconnect all peripherals from your computer.

Boot from your install disc & run Repair Disk from the utility menu. To use the Install Mac OS X disc, insert the disc, and restart your computer while holding down the C key as it starts up.

Select your language.

Once on the desktop, select Utility in the menu bar.

Select Disk Utility.

Select the disk or volume in the list of disks and volumes, and then click First Aid.

Click Repair Disk.

Restart your computer when done.

Repair permissions after you reach the desktop-http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2963 and restart your computer.

User uploaded file

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2014 6:51 PM in response to Barbara Selby

How large is your hard drive and how much hard drive space do you have left?

Disconnect all peripherals from your computer.

Boot from your install disc & run Repair Disk from the utility menu. To use the Install Mac OS X disc, insert the disc, and restart your computer while holding down the C key as it starts up.

Select your language.

Once on the desktop, select Utility in the menu bar.

Select Disk Utility.

Select the disk or volume in the list of disks and volumes, and then click First Aid.

Click Repair Disk.

Restart your computer when done.

Repair permissions after you reach the desktop-http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2963 and restart your computer.

User uploaded file

Dec 17, 2014 8:53 AM in response to Barbara Selby

Activity Monitor – Monitor Performance Problems

Performance Guide

Why is my computer slow

Why your Mac runs slower than it should

Things you can do to resolve slowdowns see post by Kappy

Try running this program and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read.

Etrecheck – System Information

slow computer even after repairing disk permissions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.