Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite, Boot Camp, Windows 8.1 - Resizing Partition Guide

Hey everyone, I had some success with this so I thought I would share:

What you Need:

0) familiarity with the command line, HD partitioning, linux, and lots of nerve.

1) Yosemite

2) A successful installation of Windows via Boot Camp (I was using 8.1 and I did the installation after I upgraded to Yosemite, i.e., I did not have a Boot Camp partition before upgrading to Yosemite) <-- Any other type of config may not work with this guide!!

3) A Linux live usb/cd with gparted (I assume you're familiar with linux and gparted and things like that, I'm not going to go into too many details on how to use that OS or its tools)

4) patience and luck 🙂

Disclaimer: This can really screw up your system if you fail to follow the directions or you have made the storage gods angry... use at your own risk!

So initially I created a boot camp partition to install Windows 8.1 and after the installation realized I should have allocated more space for Windows. On the OS X side, I opened the graphical diskutil and discovered I could not resize or change either of the partitions - the only thing I could do was delete the boot camp partition which was not a handy option considering the time I put into installing Windows and its subsequent updates.

After some careful googling I found this:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/134498/unable-to-resize-partitions

Which led me to the solution. From a terminal run: 'diskutil corestorage list' (without the quotes) to get a list of the logical volumes, groups, and physical disks that OS X created after using boot camp. The information you will need is the UUID of the logical volume (not the logical volume group or family). You are then going to use the undocumented command 'diskutil corestorage resizeStack' with the UUID of the logical volume in order to change the size of the volumes and physical disk. In my case, I wanted to shrink my remaining OS X partition by 40GB and give that to Windows. Again from the terminal run:

'diskutil corestorage resizeStack UUID XXXg' where UUID is the 32 digit identifier of the logical volume and XXX is the desired new size of the disk (e.g., 350g for 350 GB).

After a few moments, it will finish and in diskutil you should see an amount of unallocated space. You still can't do anything with it here, but at least it's visible. Reboot into OS X again just to feel confident that you haven't screwed anything up, yet. It did seem to take slightly longer to reboot into OS X this one time, but everything turned out ok 🙂

Now using a linux live usb drive, boot into your favorite brand of linux and run gparted. You should see your unallocated space sandwiched between your OS X partition (which gparted may or may not formally 'see') and the NTFS Windows partition. Simply move the Windows partition over to occupy the unallocated space and extend it to the end of drive and you're done. My version of gparted warned me that Windows may not boot after I do this, but for me, it worked fine and booted into Windows properly the first time. If Windows doesn't boot, you'll need a Windows install on a usb stick (you should have one from your boot camp installation right?) and then you'll need to repair the disk (there are many helpful guides that go through this very thing - just google it).

It worked for me flawlessly, good luck!

Posted on Dec 16, 2014 1:29 PM

8 replies

Dec 16, 2014 1:58 PM in response to ashtastic

Good guide. A couple of caveats. Not all Yosemite installations are consistently converting JHFS+ to CS volumes. Some have stayed with JHFS+. Good backups of both OS X and Windows should be kept, prior to any resizing. Some have used EFI installation for W8.1, where a pure GPT disk can be resized much more easily. Disk Utility in Yosemite is not 'fully' compatible with all the undocumented CS commands, perhaps 10.11 may be fully aware of LVG/LVF/LV structures.

Dec 20, 2014 9:35 PM in response to ashtastic

My Disk Utility doesn't show the change! It says it in terminal. I redid the list command after and it shows that it shrank. But, i am not seeing the change in allocation under disk utlitity. I selected Macintosh HD (the far left one), then Partition tab. It says capacity 210GB, Used 181GB (wI set 181GB as the total size of the partition). The diagram shows no unallocated space!

Feb 26, 2015 10:48 AM in response to ashtastic

ashtastic wrote:

Now using a linux live usb drive, boot into your favorite brand of linux and run gparted. You should see your unallocated space sandwiched between your OS X partition (which gparted may or may not formally 'see') and the NTFS Windows partition. Simply move the Windows partition over to occupy the unallocated space and extend it to the end of drive and you're done.

Everything has worked so far, I have freed up about 75GB that is in between OSX and my 8.1 Bootcamp Partition, however I can't for the life of me seem to make a working Linux USB. How can you make a BOOTABLE (from this retina macbook pro) Live CD with Gparted. What tools/ISO did you use?

Jun 14, 2015 10:37 AM in response to ashtastic

I posted my solution on http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/134498/unable-to-resize-partitions, and here is what I did. This method doesn't involve commanding using the terminal, but instead it's a little trick to unlock the ability of the disk utility app to resize the partition as you want.

I have solved this after two days of searching around the Internet. I am using MacBook Pro 15" retina, with another partition having Windows 8 created by Boot Camp in Mac. The question, when I run disk utility I don't see the "draggable" corner of the hard disk which I need to resize the partition. This is my solution, I will write down step by step:

1. Turn off the FileVault encryption in the System Preferences → Security. This took my Mac 3–4 hours to finish!

2. Then restart in recovery mode by pressing Command + R during the restarting process.

3. In the recovery mode, run Disk utility. Select your drive and Turn off the disk encryption which is at the file setting on the top bar. Now you will notice that your hard disk name might change.

4. Restart again in OS X. Run Disk Utility. Now the "dragging" corner is available. Click on it and resize as you want.

5. Restart into Windows OS. Download the free software Minitool partition. It will allow you to merge unused space with your windows HD. Everything was smooth and my windows is still running nicely.

Hope this help!

Jul 31, 2015 5:05 AM in response to ashtastic

I too had the same problem in not 1 but 2 Macs ..My latest is running Yosemite and the earlier one Mavericks ...... Solved it for both with a few simple steps ...

Before I detail the steps , I want to admit that first I tried the disc utility by dragging and resizing....what it did was create a new Disc Mackintosh 2 and ate into my available area .... Thanks the same forum .....Thanks to Mr Lanny ....... Delete hard drive partition

Coming to increasing the Windows partition size the following are the steps ....Before this please back up your Mac as well as Windows side ...just in case ...nothing happened to ...but I did do a back up to be safe

1. Open the Windows and you will find a button called configure ...Looks like Sprocket ...Click it ...It will show you how much is allocated now . It will also tell you that Windows has to be shut down to make changes here
  2. Now go to Windows .. Click on Start button ( in Windows 7 which I use...the equivalent in your version ) and go to Computer and right click and chose " Manage " ...This is found in second line ..Next to " Open" ... Click on Manage and open it.... Go to Disk Management under Storage ... Now this will show you the health of the drive as well as the partition sizes
  3. Now Shut Down ( not Hibernate ...Full shut down ) Windows . After it is complete go back to Configure ( the Sprocket icon ) and open it . Now drag the slider and increase the patron size to what you need . Once done close it
  4. Open Windows ...Job is done

This worked me in Yosemite and Maverics

Regards

Govind

Yosemite, Boot Camp, Windows 8.1 - Resizing Partition Guide

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.