Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

purchased acc audio files still locked

I replaced my old iTunes 'protected acc audio files' with 'purchased acc audio files' using the the little

cloud icon in iTunes. The files still seem to be locked -- if I try to create an mp3 version of the file

I get the error message: 'could not be converted because protected files cannot be converted to other

formats'. I also cannot play these files through my Sonos system (which is what I'd like to be able to do)

Any ideas?

Thanks

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.4/2.2 GHz), Mac OS X (10.7.5), iTunes 12.0.1.26

Posted on Dec 16, 2014 7:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2014 9:57 PM

The only way you can convert the files to unprotected is by subscribing to iTunes Match.

4 replies

Dec 17, 2014 4:52 PM in response to matpat63

matpat63 wrote:

I replaced my old iTunes 'protected acc audio files' with 'purchased acc audio files' using the the little

cloud icon in iTunes. The files still seem to be locked

Yup, that only re-downloads another copy of the protected file.

To get a non-protected file, as Limnos notes, you will have to use Match. Use this guide:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1711

And see the section "Can I upgrade my previously purchased music to iTunes Plus?"

Or if you only have a few protected files, you can burn to audio CD and rip MP3s from the CD.

Jan 4, 2015 5:25 PM in response to matpat63

I only have a few of very old purchased acc files from an old iTunes account.
I managed to get to play them on my computer by deauthorizing the account and reauthorizing the computers.
Yes, I have gone thru many computers and hard drives since these were bought.
But I can play them ONLY!!!!
I can NOT burn them to a CD.
Why has that changed? I should be able to make an audio CD from these purchased songs?

purchased acc audio files still locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.