Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon support says this is an Apple issue, Apple Care 3+ yrs old.

I just purchased a Canon PIXMA MG7250 all-in-one printer. I'm connecting via WiFi. The printer installed correctly, the Mac recognizes it and works via WiFi just fine. But, there are separate drivers for the printer and scanner and my Mac won't recognize the scanner driver.

Called Canon support, spent nearly 2 hours on the phone with them. They seemed knowledgable and helpful, took me through a bunch of steps including:

- Checking all settings on the Canon IJ Scan Utility

- Ensuring both printer and scanner were on the same network (both connect to a Belkin 2.4 Extender via Time Capsule as router)

- Ensuring network sharing turned on

- Ensuring all MAC software updates installed

- Removing and reinstalling printer

- Repairing disk permissions

… and finally ensuring that the previous printer's files were completely removed. It was a Kodak Artisan (ESP 7250 IIRC). Canon had me check the TWAIN folder under Macintosh HD/Computer/Library/Image Capture/TWAIN Data Sources. Even though I thought I removed the Kodak files there were still 2 in this folder. "A-ha!" the Canon rep exclaimed, "That's it!"

So I trashed those files, removed the printer, completely reinstalled, checked the TWAIN folder again expecting to see the newly-placed Canon files and… nothing.

At this point the rep had exhausted all her avenues and suggested I reach out to Apple Care. The computer is over 3 years old so… here I am. I'm computer literate but not exceptionally savvy. Anyone here have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 16, 2014 10:37 PM

22 replies

Oct 6, 2017 7:22 PM in response to vino17

see guys, i know thats a late post but i have the same problem.

first, i installed the printer with USB cable. trough this way, you see in the printer/scanner menu the printer installed AND when you select the printer, there are 2 tabs (PRINT/SCAN) great.

then, i removed and proceed to install the printer over wifi and in the end, you see ONLY PRINT but no option for scan...

so the drivers for wifi does not work as it should or might....

the think is that i have the same problema with HP3050...

BEFORE Sierra, the driver was ok but when i uptaded to sierra (now high sierra) over wifi, ONLY Print... lucky that HP have webserver integrated to scan... but canon i dont know....

Dec 17, 2014 9:54 AM in response to CellarDwellr

@ CellarDwellr

Thanks, but the issue isn't that it won't scan over the network, per se… but that the Canon driver isn't installing properly on my Mac. From what Canon support told me, after I removed the old Kodak files from the TWAIN Data Sources folder and reinstalled the printer Canon files should have been placed there instead. I tried removing and reinstalling the larger all-in-one software with drivers multiple times and also tried installing the printer driver separately, but neither worked.

Dec 17, 2014 10:07 AM in response to vino17

Instead of using the Canon scanning utilities, please use Image Capture which is already pre-installed on your computer. If the device is connected via the Wi-Fi network and the Canon drivers are present then Image Capture should notice the device.

You can also easily tell if the device is noticed by OS X by looking in System Preferences - Printing & Scanning and see if the device shows up on the left side pane. If it does then you should be able to use Image Capture to scan.

Post back after trying Image Capture. If you insist using the Canon app then you need to re-contact them. It's their software, not Apple's and therefore is NOT an Apple issue.

Dec 17, 2014 10:31 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Image Capture doesn't recognize the scanner (says none is connected). To clarify again, the printer is recognized by the Mac (i.e. it shows up in Print & Scan under System Preferences and I have no trouble printing to it over the network from this same Mac using a number of programs).

The driver for the printer installed perfectly, but there is a separate driver for the scanner portion of the device. This driver is not installing properly and Canon insists it is an issue with my Mac, suggesting perhaps it needs maintenance. I'm not experiencing any other issues so I don;t entirely buy that, but I also don't doubt that there's some system setting or other minor Apple-specific detail that Canon may have overlooked while troubleshooting.

Any other ideas that could help identify where the issue in the driver installation may lie?

Dec 17, 2014 11:13 PM in response to vino17

Is your printer an MG7250 or a new MG7520?

I've been having problems with my Epson printer since Mavericks (as well as Yosemite) - I can only use the EpsonScan app to scan; Image Capture does not work (despite many hours of troubleshooting with Epson and Apple). Does your Canon printer have a dedicated app for scanning and have you tried it? There appears to be an optional Scan Utility listed here:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/printers_multifunction/photo_all _in_one_inkjet_printers/pixma_mg7520#DriversAndSoftware

Dec 18, 2014 5:56 AM in response to vino17

vino17 wrote:

Image Capture doesn't recognize the scanner (says none is connected). To clarify again, the printer is recognized by the Mac (i.e. it shows up in Print & Scan under System Preferences and I have no trouble printing to it over the network from this same Mac using a number of programs).

The driver for the printer installed perfectly, but there is a separate driver for the scanner portion of the device. This driver is not installing properly and Canon insists it is an issue with my Mac, suggesting perhaps it needs maintenance. I'm not experiencing any other issues so I don;t entirely buy that, but I also don't doubt that there's some system setting or other minor Apple-specific detail that Canon may have overlooked while troubleshooting.

Any other ideas that could help identify where the issue in the driver installation may lie?

I would suggest opening System Preferences - Printers & Scanners and then right clicking the printer and selecting Reset Printing System... and then run Software Update to ensure everything is up-to-date, if any updates appear install them. Then follow Apple's (NOT CANON's) instructions for additing the device in Mac Basics: Printing in OS X - Apple Support . Once re-installed open Image Capture and see if the scanner is shown (upper left corner).

Dec 18, 2014 6:49 AM in response to vino17

This is user forum - to search apple support - click on the magnifying glass - it will bring up a search window.

Apple search brings up both their support articles and sometimes threads from this forum.

You can also report it as a bug to apple via feedback.

I have separate cannon printer and scanner. The scanner replaced a Silverfast using generic driver - that was wearing out.

The scanner only shows in image capture if it is powered on. Just tried it - as I use the MP navigator when scanning into multiple page PDF - rest of scanning is through photoshop.

Dec 18, 2014 9:41 AM in response to babowa

@babowa

It's a brand new MG7520. I installed the dedicated scanner app along with the rest of the Canon software (the IJ Scanner Utility shown in the link you provided). When I run the general Canon quick menu that comes with the software it shows options for everything but the scanning functions. When I start the dedicated scanner utility it shows no scanner connected to the computer (usually there is a list of connected scanning devices and you have to select one for use).

Jan 14, 2015 12:43 AM in response to vino17

Hi folks.

Life got in the way for a while and troubleshooting this had to take a back seat. Found some time to finally figure this thing out.

@rkaufmann87, I tried connecting via USB and going through the steps for adding printers that Apple recommends per your link… except when I connected the printer, instead of simply following prompts to add the latest drivers I received an error message (immediately upon inserting the USB to the Mac) that there was a network error. The dialog box acknowledged that a driver was available, but it could not download due to the error.

For the record there was no network error.

So I started Googling the issue and saw a recommendation to disable wifi on the Mac and allow the OS to install from the local files instead of trying to connect. That didn't work either.

So I started searching for drivers for the MG7520 and came across http://printerdriverseries.com/. I noticed that the full driver download was a different (older) version than the one on Canon's website.

Updated version on Canon's site: mac-mg7500-1_1-mcd.dmg

Older version on printerdriverseries.com: mac-mg7500-1_0-mcd.dmg

So I downloaded that, installed and… success!!!! It's some sort of compatibility issue with the most updated scanner driver and OS X 10.7.5. So I'm good to go, right?

Right…???

Wrong. Dark red eyes suddenly appeared on my PIXMA's touchscreen display and a voice boomed, "THIS IS NOT MY FINAL FORM! MWA-HA-HA-HA!"

While the scanner works fine, now the printer driver won't work. Printing options aren't listed in the Canon Quick Menu and no software on the Mac acknowledges that any printer is attached, even though it was the full driver suite that I installed.

So I tried downloading and installing the latest printer driver-only from the Canon site. No luck.

Tried installing only the Printer Driver and Quick Start software from the updated 1_1-,mcd.dmg (hoping the previous version of the scanner would remain and I'd be good to go). No luck. Once again I get an error dialogue box saying Apple could not automatically install the necessary driver. After searching more I came across a site that said "Apple no longer automatically installs printer drivers in Mac OS X 10.7 and 10.8." Is that true? It certainly seems that way from experience.

FML. Not literally, but this is frustrating. First a printer that works fine but no scanner. Now I have a wonderful scanner, but can't print.

Back to the drawing board.

Jan 14, 2015 1:09 AM in response to vino17

Okay… took a deep breath. Restarted the Mac after disconnecting the USB. Went to 'Add Printer' and it actually showed up. Selected it and it actually installed. Now the real test...

Checked to ensure the older version of the scanner driver still worked and… it does! Holy **** I finally have a completely functioning PIXMA. So to recap for anyone unfortunate enough to encounter the same dilemma, here's what my trial-and-error ultimately led me to do:

1. With the PIXMA connected via USB, install the old 1_0 driver suite from http://printerdriverseries.com/, not the 1_1 suite. Maybe you can get away with installing the new suite and declining the IJ_Scanner_Utility and instead installing from the old suite afterward, but I'm not about to rock the boat to test that theory.

2. Download and install the Printer-only driver from the Canon website. The filename is "mcpd-mac-mg7500-11_7_1_0-ea17_2.dmg"

3. Disconnect the printer's USB and restart the MAC for the OS to recognize the printer driver.

4. Ensure the MAC and PIXMA are connected on the same wifi (again, in my case I'm using a range extender)

5. Add the printer as usual from 'System Preferences'

If all is well, when you open the Canon Quick Start software you should see icons present for each of the quick start categories: Print, Scan, Web Services, Manual & Device Information and Device Setting & Maintenance.

And most importantly:

6. Pop a cork, sit back and savor the moment. If you had to research, sit on the phone with Canon customer service, uninstall and reinstall as much as I did before coming to this post (assuming it helps), then you deserve a few drinks.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and advice. If this helps just one more person out there this whole charade will be worth it.

Feb 15, 2015 8:24 PM in response to vino17

2. Download and install the Printer-only driver from the Canon website. The filename is "mcpd-mac-mg7500-11_7_1_0-ea17_2.dmg"

Not clear why you designate this v11.7.1.0 a "Printer-only driver". Isn't it merely the latest Canon driver for, e.g., the PIXMA MG7520 (which I have)? I first installed it from mcpd-mac-mg7500-11_7_1_0-ea17_2.dmg and then since my printer would work on USB but not WiFi, I ran Setup from mac-mg7500-1_1-mcd.dmg , which apparently isn't included in the former dmg. After this, Systems Preferences still reports that I'm using driver version 11.7.1.0 . And both printer and scanner work with the USB cable connected.

My (different) problem is that I can't print or scan via WiFi, even though both work ok via USB and Canon's Setup app reports a reasonable LAN IP address DHCP'd from my V1000H modem/router (as well as printer MAC address and serial number). And I can also ping the printer IP address from my laptop on the same LAN. The weird thing is that this IP and MAC don't appear in the V1000H DHCP Reservation List, which I can access directly via a direct ethernet cable and browser. The printer IP is (reasonably) one less than the IP sequence of other four valid devices in the list. ???!

Canon support says this is an Apple issue, Apple Care 3+ yrs old.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.